Profile Picture

Generator bracket bolts. BRAIN TEASER....

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I was installing the 2 gen. bracket bolts that go into the eng. block and they were going in hard.  They are 5/16-18.  They look gauled but I'm sure they are 5/16-18.  Anyway i'll replace them just to be sure.  My question is when I stuck an awl into both holes to measure the bolt length, the upper hole has a solid hard bottom to it but the lower hole was soft so I pushed the awl in and antifreeze water came pouring out .  Is this normal that the lower bolt goes into the water jacket and the upper one does not or did I punch through some rust?  The water was clean and rust free.  Any thoughts?
Thanks, Charlie 
bergmanj
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Charlie,

It's open to the water jacket; use sealer on bolts when installing. This also goes for some of the water pump bolts on both sides.

Regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Charlie, yes that lower bolt hole is open to the water jacket.  Put a little gasket sealer on the threads when you install it.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter