Profile Picture

Generator bracket bolts. BRAIN TEASER....

Posted By 55charliebird Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)Supercharged (536 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I was installing the 2 gen. bracket bolts that go into the eng. block and they were going in hard.  They are 5/16-18.  They look gauled but I'm sure they are 5/16-18.  Anyway i'll replace them just to be sure.  My question is when I stuck an awl into both holes to measure the bolt length, the upper hole has a solid hard bottom to it but the lower hole was soft so I pushed the awl in and antifreeze water came pouring out .  Is this normal that the lower bolt goes into the water jacket and the upper one does not or did I punch through some rust?  The water was clean and rust free.  Any thoughts?
Thanks, Charlie 
bergmanj
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)Supercharged (435 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Charlie,

It's open to the water jacket; use sealer on bolts when installing. This also goes for some of the water pump bolts on both sides.

Regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)Supercharged (4.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Charlie, yes that lower bolt hole is open to the water jacket.  Put a little gasket sealer on the threads when you install it.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter