Profile Picture

Engine value?

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I spoke with someone at the local cruise who has some YBlock parts he wants to sell.  Among other things he has a complete 312 2V out of a Mercury and a complete 272.  I may be able to buy everything at a decent price.  What is a stock 312 engine worth these days?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Much of the value for a 312 depends upon the current condition of the engine.  If it turns over, then that’s a starting point.  If the engine is stuck or locked up, then it’s a shot in the dark if the block can be salvaged.  At that point you are looking to see if you can at least salvage a 4V intake, cylinder heads, and the crankshaft.  If the engine is already 0.060” over on the bores and the crankshaft heavily turned, then that limits any future rebuilds.  If the engine is no more than 0.030” over on the bores and no more than 0.010 X 0.010” on the crank journals, then potentially $400 on my end which is the typical value for a usable std/std 312 crankshaft.  Heads are always questionable as having cracks is common on those older and used parts.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I took a look at this engine last weekend.  It looks to be a virgin 1957 312 2V out of a Mercury.  It turns freely and doesn't look like it's ever been apart.  It has mercury valve covers, a non vacuum fuel pump and the good distributor.  It has an automatic transmission behind it. The second owner said it was running when he took it out of the car.  I don't need the engine, but it would be nice to have.   I know the distributor is worth at least $100.  The heads and rocks $200-$300 and the exhaust manifolds another $100.  This would leave me with a rebuildable 312 short block.  I offered the guy $500 for it.  He wanted much more.  If he takes my offer, I will have some parts to sell.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter