Profile Picture

ENGINE TIMING TAPE

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
WHAT BRAND ENGINE TIMING TAPE IS THE ONE I WANT FOR THE BALANCER.  WHERE DID YOU GET IT.  THANKS, CHARLIE
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
You won't find any for a Y.  What you can do is find one for a damper with a diameter as close as possible to the 'bird damper.

Lawrenceville, GA
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
If T-Bird and Passenger Car are the same Diameter then Mr. Gasket for Small Block Ford is about as close as U will find. The # is 1594  for 289-302 Ford.. 6 3/8"   6.375"  Diameter.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

T-Bird timing marks are on the rim of the front pulley, not on the harmonic ring like passenger cars.  Timing tape would have no possibility staying on a Bird pulley.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I only have a single "V" notch on the pulley, nothing else.  The timing pointer is long enough to reach the "V" notch so I figure that a tape on the damper donut would be close enough. Other than that I guess it is the SWAG method to time the engine.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (6/5/2019)
T-Bird timing marks are on the rim of the front pulley, not on the harmonic ring like passenger cars.  Timing tape would have no possibility staying on a Bird pulley.

I forgot the T-Bird timing Setup is different.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

No guessing is necessary but a little math and care measuring and adding marks to the damper is.  You just need to know the circumference and then you can add marks for the corresponding number of degrees.  For instance, if you want a mark at 10 degrees, multiply circumference by 10 and divide by 360 and that will give you the distance from 0 for 10 degrees.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

If I remember correctly, I used a small block ford tape (probably MR Gasket) which was very close to the correct diameter of the Y.  There are different lengths for a small block Ford, so you will have to measure your pulley.  However. if it's a Bird, then the tape may possibly work on the balancer ring, but the pointer may obscure the TDC mark

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Lord Gaga
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

55charliebird (6/5/2019)
WHAT BRAND ENGINE TIMING TAPE IS THE ONE I WANT FOR THE BALANCER.  WHERE DID YOU GET IT.  THANKS, CHARLIE

Set the timing "By the seat of your pants"! (use your senses)

"FREE SAMPLE"
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I use a Craftsman timing light.  It has a dial on the back that allows me to set the total timing.  I set the dial to 36 degrees, rev the engine to 4,000 rpm with the vacuum advance disconnected and lock it down.  This also allows me to see the advance working throughout the RPM range.  Works like a charm with no guessing. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter