Profile Picture

cam

Posted By emtdude56 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
has any one used a mummert 270s cam and what are your thoughts thanks
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Emtdude56.  Caution.  While someone may indicate that they have used this particular camshaft, be sure that their circumstances are the same as yours.  Vehicle weight, transmission and rear end gearing, tire size, and engine displacement and compression ratio are all important variables.

To give one specific example of what I'm driving at, the camshaft you have asked about when used in a 272 C.I.D. engine will yield an enormously different personality than the same camshaft used in a 322 C.I.D. 312 when used in the same vehicle. 

Notice the difference between the two camshafts detailed below that are offered by John.  In particular, consider the intake and exhaust valve timing overlap and the lobe separation angle.

The lobe separation angle and valve overlap for your camshaft can have enormous effect on your engine's low speed performance, throttle response, and drive ability on the street and highway.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I ran a 270 in my bird, 9:1, 320 cid stroker. I’m running a 280 with the 111 separation in my 8:1 F code motor, which is 340cid. In the stokers they are pretty mild cams, and the displacement makes quite a difference. I was happy with both, but they’re light cars, 5 speed, and geared in the 3.5 to 3.7 range. Probably because of the displacement, I’ve found John’s cams to be relatively conservative i.e. when he says “slight lope” it’s right on.

As Charlie says, a lot of things play into which cam is the right cam. If you’d post your application, weight, tire size, geographical location, you’ll get more valuable opinions.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 44 minutes ago
Do I need to repeat my age old recommendation for choosing a cam?  Talk to the cam supplier, be honest in telling him what your combination is, car specs, and what you plan to do with the car.  Let him tell you what cam you want.  He wants you to be happy with his cam.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Mummert recommends the Y-265 for use with a stock Fordomatic trans..The Y- 270 is listed as "okay."  Some have said it is, but at least one person said he wouldn't recommend it for a Fordomatic. Other automatics..?? 

Paul
emtdude56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
thanks for the info I went with the 265

Reading This Topic

Site Meter