Profile Picture

312 Identificaton Questions

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
While at the local car show, a guy told me he has a garage full of Y-Block parts he wants to sell.  Among the parts are a couple of complete engines.  He says one of them is a 312 with a 2V intake manifold that came out of a Mercury.  The valve covers are stamped Mercury.  The automatic transmission is still bolted to the engine.  Did they ever make any 312s with a 2 barrel carb?  How can I tell if it's a 312 without disassembling it?  Is it worth anything substantial?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
The 1959 and 1960 Mercury 312 engines had two barrel carbs.  Looking for the aspirin sized dot on the edge of the rear crankshaft flange can help to identify those engines as 312’s.  With the transmission still on the engine, that might make it difficult but rotating the engine while looking at that area might still get you a sight of that rear crankshaft flange.  Some 312's do not have that aspirin sized dot on the crankshaft flange so don't be disheartened at first if the crankshaft is free of any identifying marks at that location.  Looking for the ‘113’ on the heads will at least let you know that the heads are at least original and haven’t been changed out.  Beyond all that, you’d need to pull the pan and look for ‘ECZ’ on the caps for a positive identification of these engines being 312's.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Thanks for the info.  I remember back in the day we would look for 312s in Mercuries.  I didn't realize they were 2Vs.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Phil.  My experience is different from Ted's regarding Mercury cylinder heads. 
- '57 and '58 Merc 312 y-blocks  -  ECZ -G heads 
- '59 Merc 312 y-blocks - 5750 - 471 heads
- '60 Merc 312 y-blocks - COAE heads

Hope this helps!

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm going to take look at these parts as soon as I can.  Two engines, one 312 and one 272.  He has a 3-2 Setup with Holley 94 carbs and some other parts.  If I can buy them right, they'll be for sale. 

NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Phil.  Valve covers with the Mercury name embossed have become popular . . . 

Charlie

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter