Profile Picture

Transmission Questions

Posted By customline3859 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hello all,
Currently, my '55 Customline has a 292/Ford-o-Matic. I have noticed that the car cruises smoothly at 55-60 mph, but once I attempt to accelerate past 65mph, it really seems like it's struggling. Almost like you're driving into a headwind. I don't have a tachometer, but it doesn't sound like the engine is running at a high RPM. I'm really thinking it's time to ditch the Ford-o-Matic; it's heavy, air-cooled, and leaking everywhere. I am currently rebuilding another 292 that I plan to mate to a new transmission and drop in the car. I have done a little bit of research and it seems like the C4 is the most straightforward swap. I found a step by step install in a Tbird. How much different would the install be in a Customline? I am open to other suggestions as well as far as other transmissions go, but I don't want to cut the floor and I want to retain my factory column shift. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David
paul2748
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)Supercharged (4.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
The C4 conversion is a pretty straight forward job and should fit in a sedan with no problems.  The best C4 to use is 1970 and up so I am told.  You will have to modify the kickdown rod and the rear engine mount as well as a new driveshaft.  I did the conversion in my TBird using the stock linkage with a slight modification (made a little longer using a part of another kickdown rod).  The shift linkage is straight forward on a Bird, but most likely a  little more involved with a column shift.  Get a C4 designed for a column shift as the position of the selector at the trans end is different (pointed down vs pointed up).  The 1980 unit I used had a selector that was both up and down.

The drawback to using the stock shifter is having enough range to access all gears.  In the Tbird conversion, I cannot manually use 1st gear because of the shifter range.  This may not be true with a column shifter.

While I mentioned that the 1970 and up is the better trans, I have an earlier C4 in my street rod that serves me well for over ten years with no problems (behind a warmed over 302 and has a shift kit.

I used the Flat-O-Matic kit.  Good luck

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/5e8a83b9-17a0-4583-8f25-c861.jpg
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter