Profile Picture

'57 "three on the tree" shift linkage

Posted By texasmark1 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
love my 3 on the tree but it hangs up on me sometimes, hard to shift sometimes... I guess it's just about wore out. tried most of the fixes but I have not completely disassembled and tried a full rebuild, if that's even possible.  all of the y-tube videos I find deal with newer vehicles.

is there some help available already on the forum?  

has anyone had any luck making improvements in the system?

thanks, Mark

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
texasmark1 (5/9/2019)
love my 3 on the tree but it hangs up on me sometimes, hard to shift sometimes... I guess it's just about wore out. tried most of the fixes but I have not completely disassembled and tried a full rebuild, if that's even possible.  all of the y-tube videos I find deal with newer vehicles.

is there some help available already on the forum?  

has anyone had any luck making improvements in the system?

thanks, Mark

Do You have a 1957 Shop Manual? Should explain how to disassemble and replace worn out Parts.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
texasmark1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

yes, I have the manual... so I guess I'll refer to that again.
thanks

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Just an interjection into your post.. Be careful with worn 57 linkage!. I had mine pop out of Park & into Reverse while idling with me standing outside!  I've detailed the incident here a few weeks ago, titled "A sorry painful lession learned" under the "This & That" catagory, some days after I returned from "Hospital Emergency"...   

Paul
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Check the connection of the rods at the steering column.  There are bushings there and they be worn and need replacement.  Also check the connection of the rods at the trans end to see if the connection is very loose.  Use some thin washers to take up any slack.
Check a shop manual on how to set up/adjust the rods at the column.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

texasmark1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

anyone ever blown apart their steering column to repair/restore steering parts such as bushings?
thanks, Mark

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Texas Mark:  the only place I've seen any parts listed for the inside shift linkage is Dennis Carpenter's 2007 catalogue for 1957-59 ,P# 31. Currentlly ?. 

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter