Profile Picture

Harmonic re-install....alignment with key on crankshaft.

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Harmonic re-install....alignment with key on crankshaft.

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I getting ready to re-install the rebuilt harmonic balancer.  The engine is in the car so I cant get a good visual alignment with the slot on the balancer and the key in the crankshaft.  Is there anything that I have to be aware of before I use the Casco install tool to slide the balancer on?  I'm hoping for a "one shot" attempt.  Thanks
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sometimes the key gets tilted and you have to tap it in the slot to get the balancer on.  It wouldn't hurt to use a little grease either.  Put some on the seal in the front cover.  Once you get it started, the Casco install tool should work fine.   Keep the crankshaft from turning.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Thanks Phil.
BamaBob
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
55charliebird (5/6/2019)
I getting ready to re-install the rebuilt harmonic balancer.  The engine is in the car so I cant get a good visual alignment with the slot on the balancer and the key in the crankshaft.  Is there anything that I have to be aware of before I use the Casco install tool to slide the balancer on?  I'm hoping for a "one shot" attempt.  Thanks

BamaBob
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)Supercharged (406 reputation)

Charliebird, how did the rebuilders do on your balancer? You used Winslow, right? How is the quality as far as you can tell at this point? Thanks.
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I talked to Winslow today, the harmonic balancer is on its way.  I have not seen it but I should be good.  I have a good vibe, but I'll advise you when it arrives.  They have been doing them for many years. 
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The balancer arrived today, exactly 3 weeks from the time they received it to return to me.  That should be about right. From what I see it looks great.  They sandblasted and primed it. The donut is now in the correct position on the shaft.  "It wont rub anymore on the front mount".  I'm very happy with what I see.  Its primed so i'll paint it then reassemble the cooling system.  As far as centrifugal balance, I don't know, but Winslow told me they know how to bond the donut to the shaft, in the correct position.  Again, i'm happy with it. 
BamaBob
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the info. Sounds good!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter