Profile Picture

What are these two holes in the back of my heads???

Posted By skyhunter 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
On each side of my 292s heads is a threaded 3/8" hole in the rear right next to the sensor on the divers side.  On the passenger side the corresponding hole without a sensor has a core plug and a threaded hole like the drivers side next to it.

Both holes are open as far as I can tell because it seems to be venting smoke!!!  Has this engine rebuilder forgotten something??  This can not be right.

I used a one inch 3/8" - 16 and it goes in about 3/4" before I feel it starting to stop, so if these should be blocked off I think no more than a 1/2" bolt should be used????

1959 Edsel Ranger, 1916 Ford "speedster"
"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
Barry L
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)Supercharged (302 reputation)

Use short bolts to plug the holes. Too long and you'll hit a pushrod, bending it or knocking it off the lifter.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Those holes ;make the heads interchangeable side to side.  When the left head is installed on the right side, the front manifold bolt goes into that hole and the back hole is now open.  On original installation, the spark plug wire harness bracket is bolted to that hole, and on T-Birds the body ground strap also bolts to the left one.  As mentioned, short bolts must be used in those holes.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
skyhunter
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Thanks.  I will get right on it.

"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Short bolts because a push rod is in there.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Not necessary but when I'm plugging a hole with a bolt that goes to the internal cavity of an engine I use a copper washer and never seize on the threads. Pep Boys etc. have them in assorted sizes or a combo package.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
skyhunter
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Totally off topic, but how does one search for all posts on a topic like "PCV" or anything else like "radiator"?

The search icon of the magnifying glass only allows a search of a page number.  There is no ability to search for "Key Words"  at least no way I have found.  

Sure would be nice for looking up answers to questions already asked.

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
skyhunter (5/7/2019)
Totally off topic, but how does one search for all posts on a topic like "PCV" or anything else like "radiator"?....

See if this helps.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic110807.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter