Profile Picture

1956 Ford Replacement Gas Tank Sender Unit Anyone found One that Works?

Posted By oldcarmark 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

1956 Ford Replacement Gas Tank Sender Unit Anyone found One that...

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Looking for a replacement Sending Unit for 56 Passenger Car that actually is Accurate. There's several out there that don't work , Has anyone found One that Works?
Friend looking for One and does not have an Original to get repaired. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
If you find one I would like to know about it. All I have been able to do with the resistance style senders is get them where they tell me when the tank is about empty.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Most of the Replacement Ones have the wrong range of Resistance Values. They all claim they are for this Application but I have read most are inaccurate as You have found.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
This is a discussion we had a while back, I still have not attempted to repair the original sender or re-calibrate the gauge to read correctly with the new resistor type sender.  I need to get to it soon and will report back

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic142832.aspx
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I just had a look at the One offered by Summit Racing. 9 Reviews and they are all Positive. Anyone tried One of theirs?

kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

The sender I posted about last year is the Summit sender.  While it works it will never read empty.  If you look at the other post I have the sender in a test stand next to the fuel gauge and you can see it never reads empty. best I could do was a little under 1/4 with the arm all the way down.

The wiper that the float moves is off the  wire wound part of the of the resistor when the float is all the way down so no amount of arm bending will make it go lower.  The resistor winding is just not right for the application.  If you could live with saying your tank is empty when the gauge falls below 1/4 the sender will work but I would want better than that.

I am still going to investigate repairing the original sender or re calibrating the gauge empty point, I am told it can be done.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I wrote a pretty long on how I did mine with an aftermarket and it works well enough for me...it's somewhere in the site but i'm not good on searching.
 I mounted the new one on a block of wood parallel to the tank with a wood screw and laid it on the trunk floor and connected it to the electric connection. Turn the key to accessory and watch the guage, it's a slow mover and it takes some time. I measured the depth of the tank and worked from there.

Full was pretty easy as the top of the float would be same as the bolt down plate. When I moved the level and float down so the the bottom of it would be on the bottom of the tank the guage was off about as much both full and empty. I started bending the arm in a "ZEE" until I liked what the guage read for full and empty. So what i really did was shorten the arm. Like I said "it takes a while" I used 2 needle nose pliers to make the beds AND no I don't have any photos as I did this 6 years ago. 

Now mine reads full for about 50 miles or so before it moves and when it gets at 1/4 tank I fill up and it takes 12-13 gallons and the tank holds 17 so I'm OK with it...Good Luck

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

kevink1955 (5/2/2019)
The sender I posted about last year is the Summit sender.  While it works it will never read empty.  If you look at the other post I have the sender in a test stand next to the fuel gauge and you can see it never reads empty. best I could do was a little under 1/4 with the arm all the way down.

The wiper that the float moves is off the  wire wound part of the of the resistor when the float is all the way down so no amount of arm bending will make it go lower.  The resistor winding is just not right for the application.  If you could live with saying your tank is empty when the gauge falls below 1/4 the sender will work but I would want better than that.

I am still going to investigate repairing the original sender or re calibrating the gauge empty point, I am told it can be done.

OK Thanks for the Info. If I going to spend Money for a replacement I want One that works properly. I will keep looking. My Friend disposed of the Original not realizing it could be repaired. Hindsight is a great thing.

kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

This thread got me moving again so I went out to the garage to pull the original sender to see if it could be repaired.  When I got the sender out I found the float almost full of gas, guess thats why it always read empty

I hooked the sender up out of the car and it works!!!     Going to order a float from Macs and call it done.    I still think the Summit sender could be made to work if you re calibrated the gauge but I am not going to mess with a working original gauge to find out.

Got lucky with that one, no help to you OldCarMark as your sender is no longer in your possession
tjaybo52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
So to tac on to this thread... will an original sender from 55 fairlane w\ 6v pos ground work in a car converted to 12v neg ground?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter