Profile Picture

intake gasket types

Posted By blocky 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
hi all i am hoping someone can help me .i am at the final stages of assembling my 292 and have two questions that i hope someone can answer first is thermostat temp. i was supplied with a 160 degree and i think this is too cool and think i will use a 180 ??? any thoughts??.second is intake manifold gaskets. i have a felpro kit and also McCORD and others and they have 2 gaskets of which i am not familiar. one has a restricted middle port  , where the hot air goes through and the other is open. i was thinking it gets back to auto and manual choke for heating the manifold. i will be using the 4 bolt 2 barrel holley with a manual choke. hope someone can put me in the right direction. cheers will try to put a photo.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d6680dc4-7b96-4f98-9428-e6e8.jpg
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You will get a lot of different opinions on this.  I am not an expert, but I will share my own experience.  The most significant difference in intake gaskets is the port size.  Earlier Y-Blocks have small ports. Lay both gaskets on your heads and see which heads you have.  Use the ones that fit.  When I buy a complete gasket set, both sizes are included. The hole in the middle provides heat for the choke.  The choke tube inside the manifold commonly rusts out.  Check for that. Some racers block these holes to allow the manifold to run cooler.  Since you are not using a heated choke, you do not need to be concerned with this hole other than it's integrity.

I live in Florida.  It gets hot here in the summer and we have a lot of traffic.  I use a 170 degree wide gap thermostat from NPD, a three row aluminum radiator and an electric fan in my Thunderbird.  It shows 170 degrees on my SW gauge when running. In stop and go traffic on a 90 degree day, it may go up to 200.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The restricted gasket will prevent the paint from burning off the intake and should make the intake a little cooler overall.  I don't know if it will affect choke operation with stock carburetors.
I think 160 degrees is too cold for the thermostat unless you are in a real warm climate.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I use the ones with the metal hole. I currently have a 160 hi-flow Mopar thermostat in mine and live in Southern California. I fought an idle cooling problem for a long time which I no longer have. I believe factory was a 170 and they are available and I would go to that if I every decide to open it all up again. Good Luck 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

thank you for your help . sounds like a nice bird you have
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thank you i agree with your opinion
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

good advice thank you  so much
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thank you charlie thats good advice
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I use the gaskets with the small hole for the only reason that the paint does not burn off the intake as readily as the large hole.  In fact, using the small hole and going from one coast to another with the car the paint hardly showed any difference in color

As far as thermostats go, you have to remember that their man function is to limit water flow while the engine is warming up.  Once opened, they really don't control engine heat to any large extent (my opinion).  Operating engine heat can go anywhere after the stats open and the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
If you live in a Northern snow state and would like to enjoy your classic carburetor equipped car when temps drop down in the 40's or lower, then the gaskets with the large exhaust ports will be necessary for good fuel vaporization. As mentioned above, in hot climates, this may not be an issue but in Michigan, the open exhaust ports help make cooler ambient temps livable with our classics. Now, the road salt used up here is a show stopper.  Hope this helps, JEFF.....................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter