Profile Picture

Is Pertronix II that much better than the original Pertronix electronic points?

Posted By Joe D 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is Pertronix II that much better than the original Pertronix...

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have a 1960 F-100 Pick up with a 292 Y-Block, dual advance distributor with Pertronix (original pertronix, 4 years old) electronic points. Would It be worth the upgrade to the Pertronix II like some have suggested on this site or should the upgrade be a whole new distributor with the electronics already installed? The truck is running good with no issues.

Thanks Y-Blockers

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
A problem with the Pertronix I was it would tend to burn out if the ignition key was left on.   My understanding is the Pertronix II doesn't have this problem.  I am running a Pertronix I and a Pertronix 1.5 ohm Flame Thrower coil in my TBird with a 1957 Ford distributor.  I see no reason for me to upgrade.  My advice is if it's working leave it alone.  I don't think you will gain much by upgrading to a Pertronix II. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
I had an ignitor II that burned up after I left the key on.  When I originally converted from points, I noticed no difference at all in how the engine started, ran and mileage.  When I reinstalled the points after burning up the ignitor II, it actually felt more responsive.  This was on a good distributor, not a questionable one possibly in need of a rebuild.  Based on that, I don't think you would notice anything between the I and II.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks guys! I'll just keep driving her for now.

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs

Reading This Topic

Site Meter