Profile Picture

Power Steering cylinder seal leak

Posted By DryLakesRacer 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My power steering cylinder had a slight leak at the seal and it was bugging me. I removed the unit by following the overhaul manual. I was able to remove the C-clip but not the first dust seal and washer from the cylinder. Any Thoughts?

To remove the bushing and inner seal it says to apply air to the cylinder. I've tried that to get the first items out, no luck

Am I supposed to apply air to both of the of the ports at the same time? It really doesn't say that but might mean that, I don't want to screw anything up.

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Thanks to all those who looked. Cancel it all. After looking at a you tube about a Mustang cylinder I decided to drill a little hole it what I thought was an outside washer to pry it off. It turned out to be the outside of a double lip seal. Under it was another one which I removed the same way. 2 seals same direction The inner diameter of the seal kit I bought form Larry'Thunderbird was correct but not the outer, The shaft was .623" and the outer housing is close to 1.134" so I'm going to search for a couple of seals. Whoever put them in applied a thin coat of sealant to the outsides which I will do to. Not sure if the C-Clip is really needed and I have know idea what this is from. I looked again at Larry's again and this could be an early 55 by the photo in their catalog.. . Thanks again.

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
It's surprising what You can find online when You need some Info regarding just about anything. I always use my Computer to find Service and Repair Info or Parts. Someone somewhere out there has posted the Information needed. You may have an Exchange Cylinder that was purchased last Time the Cylinder leaked.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Talkwrench
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Wish I could help you further , I did mine years ago, it was a nightmare. I had a seal kit and took it to a forklift servicing place thinking they do this stuff day in day out .. pfft! they couldn't do it and I think wrecked the seal. I managed to find replacement seals at local mining supplier and did it myself but Im sure I had to get another seal because I muffed it. I had to grind down a washer and play with it till I finally got it from memory .. Its been on for years now , not a drop. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Talkwrench, Turns out mine was more complicated than I would like. The early 55's were to big. So I went on a seal hunt. Stopped a few places but they were only no pressure grease seals. There is a place near me (ABS they advertise in drive magazine) that rebuild steering boxes, control valve, and does complete changeouts. I took  my stuff in and they actually had  spring seals with double lips but their width was a little too wide and the  OD was slightly smaller than I would have liked for a press in. I ground one width down until the 2 equaled the 2 I took out and then used some Locktite on the outside edge. I'm going to leave then over night and install it in the morning and see what happens. 

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

If You are still in need of Seals the Rock Auto Catalog lists the Seals with #'s and Dimensions. Go to the Catalog under 1956 Ford or 1955 Ford depending on what You are working on.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Oldcarmark. The seals I put in from ABS leaked worse than what I had. I'm going to look by demension now. Thanks.

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The Seals are very inexpensive. They also sell the Rubber Bushings to install the Cylinder under "Rebuild Kit". I just re-installed my Power Steering using that Kit.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Right now I've just been unlucky, no Ford or repair part kits have fit. Back in the day rebuilders machined out what ever they had seals for and use them. My seals had the standard ID .625" shaft but the OD of the seals I took out are 1.135" double with a spring and the typical 1.125" are too small. There are some listed it the seal catalogs I've found for 1.135" but do not have the springs and are really grease seals and are much thinner. I going to a supplier Monday to see what they can look up.  

It was common to machine bores and retrofit things like this in the past. I've already found my control valve had 2 of the same size smaller seals where stock was one larger than the other. This was also a typical fix back in the 60's for 50's car parts.

It's just kind of a pain in the a** but I can have the cylinder out in 15 minutes easy after it's jacked up on stands. Going together takes about 20.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Bought a replacement cylinder from Concours Parts in Carson City Nv. I have dealt very favorably with them before and it's why I used them. It arrived Wednesday afternoon and it was a perfect match to the 56. The seal bore looks identical to the kit parts I had bought from Larry's T-Bird. I add a an oz. or so to each side of the ram cylinder and let sit over night. Installed it today and it works perfect with no leaks which I didn't expect any. 
I now suspect the bushing right behind the seal as it had play and the new one has none. I'm still expecting some seals I found online which has a bigger OD than the ones I have tried. I'll put them in and add some PS fluid and try an air test with 100 psi and see what happens. 
Thanks for the suggestions.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter