Profile Picture

AOD Conversion

Posted By tluz 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi, Guys,

I have a '56 T-Bird (312 c.i., auto trans) that has a Cruise-o-matic from a '58 in it.  I didn't put it there, it was that way when I bought it.  The transmission tends to kick down on the highway once it heats up (45-60 minutes of driving will do it), which is alarming, at minimum.  I've had the bands adjusted, with no perceptible improvement.  

Thinking about ditching the Cruise-o-matic in favor of an AOD.  I think there was some discussion about that on this forum years ago.  Is there any newer wisdom on the topic, like whether this is a good swap, who has the best parts, etc?  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Not familiar with the 58 but my 62 CrusieO the second arm on the trans is not for throttle pressure like my FordO was, it is kick down only. The shop which installed it had it doing what your saying. I took off the clevice at the linkage near the firewall and extended the length of the rod and made the kick down come in much later. It took a few times until it felt right to me. My CrusieO has a vacuum modulator for normal driving which will hold it in gear longer as I accelerate. of shift pretty quick if i drive easy.

Once again I'm not sure on the 58, others here may know.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter