Profile Picture

56 suspension parts

Posted By Andy 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Does anyone know of a company in the US that makes quality bushings and suspension parts. I was looking at some of those front end kits but just don’t know about the quality .
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

What exactly are you looking for?  OE quality or better than OE quality?

Reason I ask is I upgraded my old Ford Truck I-beam bushings to polyurethane bushings as the rubber bushions get beat out on the trucks.  They don't really effect ride quality long as you don't use them for body mounts as well.

If you are looking for OE quality your best bet is to look up Moog, its pricy but Moog is pretty much the best parts.

If you are looking for OE reproduction you might want to hit up places like Macs, Tee-Bird, Larrys-Tbird, Dennis-Carpenter, etc.

Me personally on my '56 I will be running OE reproduction ball joints with the correct style boots but the bushings in the A frames are going to be black polyurethane.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Rusty_S85 (3/13/2019)

Reason I ask is I upgraded my old Ford Truck I-beam bushings to polyurethane bushings as the rubber bushions get beat out on the trucks.  They don't really effect ride quality long as you don't use them for body mounts as well.

If you are looking for OE quality your best bet is to look up Moog, its pricy but Moog is pretty much the best parts.

If you are looking for OE reproduction you might want to hit up places like Macs, Tee-Bird, Larrys-Tbird, Dennis-Carpenter, etc.

Me personally on my '56 I will be running OE reproduction ball joints with the correct style boots but the bushings in the A frames are going to be black polyurethane.

Dennis Carpenters Stuff is made U know where. I bought new lower Control Arm Bolt Kits several Years ago  and they were made Offshore. The Nuts were little Ones not even close to original Dimensions. When I questioned the Quality with DC all they offered was a return for Refund. If You can find NOS or NOSR Parts made in USA thats your best Bet in my Opinion. Moog is also a good bet. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 minutes ago
You don't want NOS rubber bushings.  Moog is a good brand.  Like any modern brand, they produce stuff outside of the US.  That's just the way it is.  But at least with them, it's a company that has been producing these types of parts for a long time and no matter where it is actually made now, it should be good.  However, they don't produce everything for every vehicle ever made so they may not produce what you need.  They do have a catalog so you can find out.

Actually, I'll add a little more nuance to "you don't want NOS rubber bushings."  I did get a set of brand new, made in USA Napa branded spring bushings for my truck within the last decade.  So if they are relatively recent production, they should be fine.  But you don't want 60 year old NOS rubber bushings, for instance.  You'll very likely be better off with brand new Chinese in that case.  Rubber doesn't age well.

Lawrenceville, GA
Dave C
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I just finished installing a kit for my 55 from a-resto-parts.com.
http://stores.a-resto-parts.com/1954-1955-1956-ford-mercury-full-size-new-front-end-suspension-rebuild-kit/
best deal as a kit from buying separate. Seems to be a good quality kit.

Dave
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Might want to check out  Kanter in NJ for front end parts..

One thing about 54-56 sedan and 55-57 Tbird ball joints.  They are a very strong design and last for many moons if properly serviced..  Checker cabs ran them through their run.  So check the ball joints before just replacing them.  I went through the front end of my 54 Ford and  56 Bird and replaced most everything except the ball joints as they checked out good.  Many miles later, they both check out good.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

oldcarmark (3/13/2019)
Rusty_S85 (3/13/2019)

Dennis Carpenters Stuff is made U know where. I bought new lower Control Arm Bolt Kits several Years ago  and they were made Offshore. The Nuts were little Ones not even close to original Dimensions. When I questioned the Quality with DC all they offered was a return for Refund. If You can find NOS or NOSR Parts made in USA thats your best Bet in my Opinion. Moog is also a good bet. 

Of course but some times you have to go with a place like Dennis-Carpenter if no one else stocks it.  I had to go with them for door panels for my truck, they were the only one that had the ford license and the ford dies to make the door panels.  The ones places like LMC carried were molds made off old worn out panels.  So choice was spend $200 for the LMC panels that are horrible looking and flimsy or spend $95 for a pair of oem quality panels made on the original dies.

Like with anything you have to do your research.  Me the ball joints I was looking at would probably come from Mac`s.  I could get the concourse quality reproductions from Larry`s but they are just a pain to deal with when it comes to out of stock items.  I like Tee-Bird they have some things no one else has but last time I looked you had to email or call them to get pricing.

Bushing wise I wouldn't go OE rubber unless the vehicle in question isn't known for beating out bushings.  If bushings are known not to last due to the design then it would be a upgrade to polyurethane bushings in my book.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Andy
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

I’m definitely gonna check everything out on the front end before I replace anything. The car has 53k original miles so hopefully it will just be rubber bushings. Moog is what I normally use but I’m not sure if all the bushings are available from them. Thanks everyone

Reading This Topic

Site Meter