Profile Picture

1956 Ford wiring?

Posted By Danny 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a NOS wire harness for my 1956 Crown Vic. I am somewhat concerned that the original harness does not have any circuit protection. Is my concern justified? My question is how can I incorporate a modern fuse panel into the original wiring harness? 

Or should I sell the original harness and install a new universal wiring harness with circuit protection? How many circuits for stock wiring?
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

As I recall the harness itself does not have fuse protection but there are fuses at diffrent locations to offfer protection to diffrent devices like the radio , clock, and I think the headlights have a fuse . 
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

You may want to pick up a color diagram from ebay eBay item number:362568295498 
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
After years of tracing wires by color I finally bought one of the color diagrams. It is great! You can follow a wire through those pesky plug in joints with ease. Even shows where each color plugs in to them. Some connections on those blocks pick up additional circuits and wires so they have to be in the correct holes on the correct block. That alone is enough to drive you nuts! I added a universal fuse holder up high on the drivers side where the kick panel mounts. Made circuits for items like the electric fuel pump etc. I think the block I used had 6 fuses but you can find more or less as you desire.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Classic car wiring has a great laminated 11x17 print. A must for our cars. My 56 has 3 fuses. 1 on the light switch, 1 feeding the flasher, one on the radio. That it.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

IMHO, you don't need any more protection if your staying with the electrics the car came with. Especially if you are replacing all the wires.  These cars went thousands of miles with the harness they originally came with.   Even if you are going to add things like an amp, stereo, air you can add a fuse panel to run these items.  Relays help a lot for high draw items.

However, if you feel uneasy, then go to an aftermarket harness.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Danny;
 It seems like your main question was concerning the addition of a modern fuse panel to your 55. The easiest and most efficient way to do this in my opinion is to buy a new harness from any one of several companies such as Painless Wiring, It's A Snap, EZ Wiring, Ron Francis Wiring, and there are others. I re-wired my 56 Customline with an "It's A Snap" harness which has a built in fuse panel with all the wires pre-wired to it. The wires are named as to where they go and are also color coded. Just my 2 cents worth.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

If you want to rewire the car with aftermarket kits, I used a Centech panel in the bird. I bought the separate wiring harnesses with the wires marked every few inches. I also used the fan controller.The wires terminate under fine threaded screws, and it’s worked fine with no problems for 15+ years.

I’ve also used 3 Autowire kits and they are first rate. Lots of extra connectors, and great instructions.

At least on my bird there’s also a couple circuit breaker under the dash. One’s for the power seat, but I don’t remember what the other one protected.

If you want to stay with the stock harness or add just some addition circuits, use a small panel for those. They’re kind of old tech, but fusible links are still available to use where you tap off the battery, gen, alternator. Keeps from burning the works down, and cheaper than maxi fuses.

https://www.centechwire.com/Fuse-Panels_c3.htm

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter