Profile Picture

Why are the Foreign Language posters able to get on this forum? Is not there a moderator who can...

Posted By Joe-JDC 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Why are the Foreign Language posters able to get on this forum? Is...

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I am afraid to open any of these posts because of viruses.  It is getting to the point I don't want to come here or post anything.  Joe-JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The forum either cannot or is not currently set up to screen new member applications.  It probably is something that needs to happen.  I'm deleting a lot of posts most days because of it.

There should be no harm in looking at the thread.  Just do not click on any links in those posts.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
GOOD advice Charlie. There are so many viruses and attackers out there that I had to change my entire platform and no longer use Internet Explorer. I went to a MAC operating system and Safari which so far has not had any problems

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I expect it would require a different platform to setup a closed membership with applications. Jim worked long and hard with someone to develop this one and I'm not sure if it can be modified. It could cost a bit to replace it and migrate the current members. Charlie your the guy right now do you want to look into it?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Ted might know more about the capabilities of this software.  Easiest would be to enable approval for new members, if possible.  A problem with that is someone has to review new applicants which may mean that more people are needed to help out.  He and I already work full time jobs.

Aside from that, me doing anything would be to create my own forum.  I've never looked into anything like that and have no idea what's involved or if I even want that responsibility now.

Lawrenceville, GA
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I’m not very computer literate, but my son does it for living. I’m using Safari most of the time, but we also run Firefox on the pc based systems. It seems to do a very good job, nothing to cause a problem in a long time.

Just don’t enter “FOM tranny” in search and open the results. 😄

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
Many sites have new members having to wait for approval before allowing members to perform posts on any available forums.  Unlike many other sites out there, this site gets no monetary benefits from advertising or other means.  In lieu of vetting new members on the YBF site, no authorization is required and new members can post right away on any of the forum sections.  If the spamming problem gets bad enough, the YBF forums will divert new member requests to a specific moderator and/or administrator for approval.  The problem with this is someone will always have to be in the background always watching for new member requests and then vetting those requests.  This would require a dedicated person for this and also require a considerable amount of time to do so.

The spammers are currently targeting the older posts in forum sections they think are not being watched.  As mentioned, just don’t open any links that may be present in those posts.  In the meantime, there are several of us in the background deleting the spam posts and for some of us, blocking the spammers’ IP addresses so that they cannot get back into the forum as posters from that specific IP address.  The spammers do leave a trail which does lead back to them but no actions are being taken other than blocking their IP addresses.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I'm on here quite a bit every day and could look at membership requests daily. Requests do not require an immediate answer and can surely wait for a day or too. The site does not have a bad problem with these posts but it exists and can be a irritant to users. I have noticed that the messages seem to come in cycles but it is really a matter of testing the waters for people not computer savy enough not to respond. Otherwise I could also nuke these posts if you give me administrative  access, limited or otherwise. Let me know if I can be of any help. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
The YBF forums now has new members awaiting activation of their accounts.  This action was taken about nine days ago.  This appears to have eliminated the barrage of spam posts that were occurring prior to this action being taken.  If you are a new member trying to get logged into the site and haven’t been successful, then email one of the administrators or moderators to get you fully into the site.  I do make an effort to check for new member activations but I may not be on the site on a daily basis.  Your account awaiting activation may be seen by one of the other administrators who can also take care of final approval for posting to the forums.  If this takes longer than a few days feel free to contact me.  My contact information is located at www.eatonbalancing.com .   Ted Eaton.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter