Profile Picture

cam spacer

Posted By emtdude56 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
need some info guys just took apart a 312 I understand there is a spacer between the cam and cam retainer plate
this engine did not have one my question is with the spacer in place does it keep the retainer plate from sitting
 flat against the block to the best of my knowledge this engine has not been taken apart before  it did have a 
keyed  spacer in front of the timing gear any info would be helpful thanks
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 45 minutes ago
Please note the spacer shown behind the thrust plate has a tapered center on one side that faces the block.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9f102e35-9bf7-41e0-be39-84ee.jpg

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
There is no spacer between the cam and plate.  There is a spacer between the cam and timing gear.  That spacer fits within the diameter of the retaining plate and is a little thicker than the plate, which sets the camshaft end play.  That spacer is 6265 in the drawing.  If that is missing then the engine was not running and probably would not even turn over.  

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I fought this battle last summer when I rebuilt the 292 engine in my TBird.  The engine that came in my car was a mismatch of parts from at least three different engines. I had zero cam end play with the new cam and gears.  I was lucky enough to have another engine to rob parts from.  There are differences in some thrust plates and spacers.  The right combination of parts will yield about 5-10 thousandths cam end play.  What I did was mock up the cam, spacers and gears in my block and check the end play without the lifters and timing chain. If I had run my engine with the mismatched parts I'm sure it wouldn't have lasted very long.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/55c0dab9-b349-4566-84a4-e661.jpg 
The cam thrust plate bolts directly to the block only after the camshaft has been inserted into the block.  The cam thrust washer is placed on the camshaft snout with the chamfered side facing the camshaft and before installing the woodruff key in the camshaft snout.  The cam thrust washer (#6265) is slightly thicker than the cam thrust plate (#6269) and the difference in those two measurements will dictate how much camshaft end play is present.  Here are some past threads on the subject.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost132964.aspx
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost140366.aspx
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost99441.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
i took apart one last year and noticed the teeth were worn on the edge of the cam gear.they had taken the spacer that goes in front of the cam gear and put it behind pushing the gear out 1/8 of an inch.diidnt hurt a thing.the enging had about 30.000 on it.
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 45 minutes ago
It's also not uncommon to switch the two spacers. The chamfered one must be first and face the camshaft. Also note the front spacer is optional with the 6290 counterweight.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
emtdude56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
thanks for the info big help

Reading This Topic

Site Meter