Profile Picture

rear deep sump oil pan

Posted By panel driver 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 hours ago
Hi, was wondering if anyone has a deep sump rear pan for a truck. I have the shallow one now. Having a bit of a problem with quick stops and losing oil pressure. 
I have installed a baffle to help correct the it, it did help some but did not stop the problem.  Thanks Joe. 

Located in Harford County Maryland 
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Normal oil capacity for the pickup and light truck oil pan is 6 qts with filter.  The deeper HD 292 rear sump pans are 7 quarts with filter.  Keep in mind that the HD 292 oil pan is no deeper at the back than the 6 qt pan but has more depth at the front.  I put two baffles in those pans that do not have baffles to help control the forward movement of the oil during braking.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

panel driver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

I thought that they made a noticeable rear sump that was deeper. I think marc had posted a picture of one last year. If not i will just install another baffle and see if that helps. My pickup tube has a metal band over the middle. 
Do you let that band touch against the bottom of the pan when you set the depth? thanks for all your info. Joe 

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
A T-Bird pan has a deep rear sump.  That might be what you are thinking of.

The truck pans that came with a baffle had about 1/4" clearance to the floor.  The bigger that dimension, the less it can control the oil but it's also a bit of a balancing act since you want oil to flow from the front of the pan fairly easily.

There are two basic designs of pickup.  One has a removable screen and the other does not.  The one that is removable is positioned closer to the rear of the pan and fairly level.  The one that does not is positioned a little farther forward, just above the drop to the sump and angled quite a bit up  I think the rear positioned one is the better one. Neither should touch the bottom of the pan.  In general, the pickup should be 1/4" to 3/8" from the bottom of the pan. When I was evaluating all of this it did not look like that is possible with either without significantly reworking the pickup because of the size of the pickups and their positioning in the pan.

You can see what I'm talking about in this thread http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic122644-1.aspx

My pan is a factory baffled pan.  I added a gate to it.  Never used it without the gate so I can't say if it changed anything noticeably.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic1469-1.aspx

Lawrenceville, GA
panel driver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I will check the position of the pickup tube. I think i need to check crank end play to make sure its not to far out. My pickup tube sits close to the rear of the pan and has a removable screen. Thanks for the link to the other info. I think i posted there incorrectly.  Thanks for you info.  Joe 

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

If you're only running five quarts of oil including filter, those truck oil pans are problematic with oil starvation during braking.  The depth on the two truck oil pans can be misleading in pictures due to the shape of the sump area and how the pans are postioned when pictures are taken.  Here’s another link showing pictures of the different rear sump pans together.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic74338.aspx#bm74375

panel driver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm running six quarts on a change with filter. The pan i have in the link is the middle pan. I want to say the baffle is located in the same place with about a 3/8 in gap at the bottom. Do you think excessive crank end play could cause this in a braking situation? Thanks for your thoughts. Joe 

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

PANEL DRIVER (2/26/2019)
I'm running six quarts on a change with filter. The pan i have in the link is the middle pan. I want to say the baffle is located in the same place with about a 3/8 in gap at the bottom. Do you think excessive crank end play could cause this in a braking situation? Thanks for your thoughts. Joe 

I would not think that crankshaft end play would be related to your low oil pressure problem if that pressure issue only occurs during braking.  If the oil pressure comes back after the vehicle is stopped, then I’ll have to go with needing a better oil pan baffle and/or a oil pickup tube that is closer to the bottom of the oil pan.

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

I’ll add that when I put add the baffles to those rear sump oil pans that have no baffles, I only leave a 1/8” gap across the bottom.

panel driver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the information. I will use that gap at the bottom. I haven't check end play it was just a thought. Oil pressure does come back after about 5 seconds after stop. This forum is so much help. Hope i can return the favor sometime. Joe. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter