Profile Picture

WATER PUMP REMOVAL...FROZEN BOLT. (going to HO pump).

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Trying to remove water pump, the rh bolt (facing the engine) that holds the timing marker, is apparently frozen.  I don't want to have it break in the timing cover casting so here are my thoughts since I cant reach the bolt threads to saturate it with penetrating oil.  Should I grind the bolt head off then have access to the remaining bolt shaft after I remove pump and spacer,  should I apply heat to the timing cover casting or should I drill a small hole into the timing case cover right at the bolt and saturate the bolt.....then use the breaker bar to get it loose? Any thoughts would help. Thanks, Charlie.
29abone
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

I believe that I would grind the head off the bolt.  After the pump is off, you can use a penetrating oil and a pipe wrench or vice-grips. Bolts are cheap, the other parts are not.  Good Luck,
   Larry
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

That would be my first choice.  I could cut bolt head with my dremel tool and cutting disks.  As you said, remove the pump then work on the bolt stud body when it is completely exposed.  Thanks.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
You could use a Propane Torch to heat up the Block around the Bolt once You have the Pump out of the Way.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Larry, I managed to cut the bolt head off.  The water pump came right off.  However the frozen bolt is frozen in the spacer casting, not in the timing cover casting.   I am able to swivel the casting and the bolt does swing with the casting.  I have been using "free-all" on it to free it up.  I'll continue to juice it daily.  At worst case I can fracture the spacer casting then hand turn the bolt out.  Hopefully it will free up inside the spacer casting.  Thanks.  Any more ideas, let me know.  I have not taken a torch to it, yet.
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Can you turn the spacer all the way around so the bolt comes out?  Anything in the way?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

CSPIDY
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Use some heat, propane should work. Get her hot the try moving with vice grips left and right. Also use more penetrating oil when she is hot. Take your time.
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The spacer hits the damper pulley, so it wont spin 360.  I heated the casting to free it up and got it to turn so it is now out.  As soon as casting cooled, the bolt practically froze up again..  ITS OUT NOW, HAD TO REAM THE HOLE TO CLEAN OUT THE CRUD..
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

THANKS, IT WORKED BUT WAS TOUGH.   TRYING NOT BREAK THE BOLT.  GOT IT OUT.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter