Profile Picture

Finding information on block

Posted By Melly 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
When I purchased this Ford was told it had a 272 in it.  Over the winter have been cleaning and doing some needed PM.  In doing so found casting # on block. If I read it correct it is ECZ*6015*C  with a stamping on front edge of block on top above water pump of ( 1-71X7 ).
I believe the block to be 1957, 312.from CF,  as CF is cast also by dist. Am I correct?  But have know Idea what the 1-71X7 refers to.  Without braking down engine is there any other things I could look for to aid in my hunt?  If in fact it is a 312 rather then a 272 is that a plus? Any help with any of this would be great as you all have proven to be the best source to answer questions for us that want to learn but don't really know much.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
...with a stamping on front edge of block on top above water pump of ( 1-71X7 ).
I believe the block to be 1957, 312.from CF,  as CF is cast also by dist. Am I correct?  But have know Idea what the 1-71X7 refers to. 

The STAMPING NO. is the ENGINE ASSEMBLY DATE.

CF = CLEVELAND FOUNDRY

ECZ-6015-C could be either a 292 or 312 - http://www.ford-y-block.com/identify312.htm

Melly
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Thank for your reply. Is there any info on the 1-71X7 stamping?
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

1-71X7 stamping

That sequence is exactly how it is stamped? Let me see if I can find my conversion chart.

OK ...

Until I find the correct info, usually,

The FIRST CHARACTER shows the work shift (or shift leader) @ (engine assy plant),

The SECOND CHARACTER the model year,

The THIRD CHARACTER the month of the production year,

The FOURTH CHARACTER the day of the month.

Your THIRD CHARACTER is numeric whereas this position usually uses an alpha character.

If you can find the CASTING DATE CODE on the block, it will help bring all of this together.

I'll get back (hopefully) when I find that other info (Including explanation of X).

DIF  = DEARBORN INDUSTRIAL FOUNDRY | CF = CLEVELAND FOUNDRY

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I just spelled all of this out in an EDIT of my previous post. It shot out into the ionosphere I think.

Also, the format appears differently to me as previous. Has it been changed or is my browser carousing?

Any plans to update this site to a later format?

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
KULTULZ (2/23/2019)
I just spelled all of this out in an EDIT of my previous post. It shot out into the ionosphere I think.

Also, the format appears differently to me as previous. Has it been changed or is my browser carousing?

Any plans to update this site to a later format?

That’s a Jim question.  But he hasn’t mentioned anything coming up in the near future.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Melly (2/22/2019)
....In doing so found casting # on block. If I read it correct it is ECZ*6015*C  with a stamping on front edge of block on top above water pump of ( 1-71X7 ).
....But have no Idea what the 1-71X7 refers to.

Best guess on the stamped engine code (1-71X7) has the engine assembly taking place on Jan 23, 1957 on shift #1. That would have made this a Wednesday engine.  Not sure what the ‘7’ is at the end unless it’s the inspector’s number who did final approval for the engine.  You might look at the outer edge of the rear crankshaft flywheel flange for a aspirin sized casting dot which would denote a 312 crankshaft.  Having no dot can still point to a 312 crankshaft but the aspirin sized or 5/16" size dot on the crankshaft is a definitive identifier for the 312 crankshaft.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Okay with good info.
Question: On the head,these letters appear :"ECZ G" 
What does this mean ?
Tim
Hot 'n Humid
Florida 33706
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I found out what the "G" on the ECZ head means. It was used on the 1957 272, 292, & 312 engines.
Tim
Hot 'n Humid
FL 33706

Reading This Topic

Site Meter