Profile Picture

1928-ish Model A Roadster Project

Posted By Reed P 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Well, it has been a while since I have been on the forum...and you all know the drill.  Work, house, and other projects run away with your tim!.   I am starting this thread to help keep me motivated on my build, it is a 1928-29 Model A Roadster that I am assembling from parts I have come across over the years.  I was going to put a flathead in it, but I really want a bit more power than what that engine will provide.  Besides, I already have a great running flattie in my '36 pickup...so I figured I would change it up some!

Here is the basic run down of the project:

292 Y, originally this was in my dad's (yeehabill) '60 pickup.  It has a small Isky cam and ~40K original miles on the engine.  It ran strong years ago when removed. 
3 speed transmission out of his truck (I need a bellhousing for it, see my parts needed ad in the classified section of the forum!)
Original model A frame, 1948 banjo rear with juice brakes, 1933 front axle, reversed main leaf to drop it a bit
F100 steering box to help it drive better at speed

I am trying to keep it fairly "traditional' looking, but I am not getting really picky about a certain style... I am just having fun.  Over the years my dad has been asking me to teach him to TIG weld, and I have also wanted to try my hands at some basic metal forming...my wife wants to sew up some interior panels and the top.  The project is going to be a fun "learning" experience for all involved.  Low stress, if there is such a thing!

The goal is to have it roughed in and street worthy early this summer, then pull it back apart this winter for upgrades.  It will take a few years to get it where I want it, but eventually it will get there. 

Here is the chassis mock up from this past weekend:
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e7c43608-0250-4484-8fb6-a3a8.jpg

Trying to get everything fitted where I can run stock hood sides, mechanical fan and minimal firewall mods.  It is a tight squeeze, but I think its going to fit in there quite nicely!  I started out thinking I was going to use the marine front timing cover and an electric water pump, but I was able to squeeze it all in there with a standard front cover/waterpump and fan.  I tried to keep as much room up front as I could, utilizing a modified front mount keeps the area around the frame nice a clear for my header routing on the drivers side and generator on the passenger side. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/148251d5-4673-4283-bb43-70d3.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bbe74e0a-f825-482e-ad1d-e494.jpg

Still have some additions to weld to the mount, and some cleaning up to do...but I like the idea so far.  I hope it will be a bit of a sleeper...we are going to leave the windshield frame the stock height, not going to channel it or make it crazy low...just drop it enough to make it look like a hotrod! 

Anyway, thanks for looking, I will keep you guys updated as progress continues!

Reed

Reed Patridge
Birmingham, Al
1936 Ford Pickup, Flathead powered cruiser
Model A Roadster, 292" Y-Block "project" vehicle
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 3:04:19 AM
Hi Reed.  Good to see you back.  Is there a turbo for this project somewhere in the future?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reed P
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Hi, Ted! 

One day we will turbo...or twin turbo it!  I am going to enjoy a nice running driver this summer, but next winter we will pull it down and make it a bit faster Smile

Dad's truck is running fantastically...the Y-Block + forced induction is a hard combo to beat.  I put an MSD programmable box on it around 2 years ago. The ability to really fine tune the timing curve was something that needed to happen, and it made the truck so smooth.

Hopefully we can make some road trips this summer and catch up with all you guys.  I cannot believe it has been so long...   

Reed Patridge
Birmingham, Al
Reed P
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted (2/18/2019)
Hi Reed.  Good to see you back.  Is there a turbo for this project somewhere in the future?

Ted, since I am going into uncharted territory for me...with no turbo In sight...I need a little advice. It's a stock stroke 292 (3.30"?) And I have a box full of 1-5/8 u bends. How long would you make the primary tubes and also the collector size and length for a good powerband In a light car? I have dad digging for the cam specs, ill post them later. We will be running a factory square bore iron intake manifold, 650 Carb, factory heads yada.yada.

I figure since I am building them from scratch, I might as well do the best I can!

Thanks for the input!

Reed Patridge
Birmingham, Al
Reed P
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Reed P (2/22/2019)
Ted (2/18/2019)

Ted, since I am going into uncharted territory for me...with no turbo In sight...I need a little advice. It's a stock stroke 292 (3.30"?) And I have a box full of 1-5/8 u bends. How long would you make the primary tubes and also the collector size and length for a good powerband In a light car? I have dad digging for the cam specs, ill post them later. We will be running a factory square bore iron intake manifold, 650 Carb, factory heads yada.yada.

I figure since I am building them from scratch, I might as well do the best I can!

Thanks for the input!

Just found the cam...Isky 228, 112 LSA shelf grind.

Reed Patridge
Birmingham, Al

Reading This Topic

Site Meter