Profile Picture

Valley Cover Bolt Washers, defective?

Posted By PF Arcand 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Referencing  Hurricane John's mention of Valley cover bolt washers that are thicker than originals & can cause bottoming out of an intake manifold.. I believe the set I have here are like that.  They weren't in original packaging and are marked NPC & 55. The washers are molded to the rubber & the upper rubber area, before the taper, is 1/4" thick. They appear too thick for under a "B" manifold.  Looking at them I can't see a viable way to shorten them..Any suggetions?  (and thanks John)

Paul
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I cut mIne down with an x-acto type knife though the middle, separating the top from the bottom.  Then I clean up the washer (removing all the rubber), and then just put the washer on the shortened bottom piece.   . 

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Paul and Paul, I also cut them in half with a knife, but I use the "top" half of the grommet and don't worry about the locating projection.  I just locate the cover where I want it and tighten bolt.  They won't move then.  The rear grommet doesn't need trimmed, the manifold is no where close to the rear bolt.  The grommets included in today's gasket sets are actually rocker cover grommets.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Another suggestion is to shorten the bolt head.  A lathe works good for this but nothing wrong with just using a grinder for doing that.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Everybody, thanks..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter