Profile Picture

Water pump baffle

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Does it really work or should I install a new high output water pump.
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
The water pump might be a better idea.  With a Bird, the CASCO pump looks very promising.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 49 minutes ago
I installed the baffel a long time ago. Seemed to help some but not totaly. When I rebuilt the engine a few years back and totaly re did the car I unstalled a 6 blade clutch fan and an electric fan in front of the radiator. Problem solved. Don't have to use the electric fan much.
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
55charliebird.  The one inch spacer used on the 'Birds between the water pump and the timing chain cover is the root reason why the 'Birds have a cooling problem and the passenger cars usually do not.  Exacerbating the 'Bird's cooling system problem is the fact that the under-hood operating temperature of a 'Bird is higher than any of the '55 - '57 Ford or Mercury passenger cars.

IF you haven't already read this information submitted by Ted Eaton, I'd encourage you to do so.  That said, consider reading other's input in this thread as well.  Click the link below for this previous entry.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost135031.aspx

Hope this helps!   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you want to fix your Thunderbird's cooling problems forever, do what I did.  My '55 Bird ran hot in traffic.  Here in Florida it is not uncommon to have high ninety degree days in the summer.  At long lights or waiting in line to get into a cruise night parking lot, my temp gauge needle would peg and I would have to shut off the motor. I finally capitulated and installed a $200 Champion aluminum radiator.  I removed the stock fan and installed an electric fan in it's place. I also installed a wide gap 170 degree thermostat.  I am running a stock iron water pump.  You can not make my car over heat.  It sits on 170 degrees in all weather conditions.  It's not concours, but it works.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ac31646e-4f61-4621-b979-9695.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
From TED's Post -

...use the Casco water pump with the extra thick water pump impellor which is designed for use with the oem one inch Thunderbird spacer.

What would be nice (IMO), in addition to the improved spacer, is if the CASCO WP impeller would fit an OEM pump. Best of both worlds.

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

do I need to use the baffle with the casco  HO pump?
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I don't think so, but I would contact CASCO and ask them.  Their tech line is very good.

55charliebird (3/3/2019)
do I need to use the baffle with the casco  HO pump?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
55charliebird (3/3/2019)
Do I need to use the baffle with the Casco  HO pump?

If you are talking about the stainless steel baffle that is an aftermarket piece, that will not work with the Casco water pump.  The Casco water pump impellors reach much further into the water pump cavity thus promoting additional water flow into the back of the timing cover and then into the block.  As mentioned previously, those baffles do not help with the Thunderbird cooling issues and in many cases simply makes the problem worse.  Leave it out and use it for wall decoration.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Phil, using the radiator you have can you put the fan shroud back on it.  I see you left it off since you don't use a fan blade.  I just purchased a 6 blade non clutch fan and I wanted to use it, so I need the shroud.  Charlie (Titusville Fla.)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter