Profile Picture

Trunk Lock???

Posted By Jim Dahl 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
HELP...while trying to get to the fuel sending unit (thru the trunk floor) I could not get the trunk open..I have two (2) keys but neither one would work. I'm now going to try dropping the tank from the bottom to get to the fuel sender but how do I get the trunk open. I know I'll have to replace the lock cylinder but how to get the trunk open is the current problem. Can I just put a straight screw driver in the slot and twist (breaking it). I sure I can't get to it thru the back seat...Any Ideas ??  Thanks                                 '56 Ford Victoria                                                                                                                                                                             Jim Dahl         Washington, Ia
weasel
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Generally the glove box key and the trunk lock were the same key.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You should be able to remove the back seat cushions and get to the lock . Just need a skinny guy or girl and wrench
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Just wondering does the key turn and the trunk won’t open or the key does not turn at all. Because if the key turns and the trunk won’t open the linkage may be disconnected and forcing the lock won’t work . I hate to break any parts if I really do not need to . Again you should be able to go through the back seat tight squeeze but doable .

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Even if you can't get through to the trunk after removing the seat, try putting  two or three long extensions together to reach the bolts that hold the latch to the body.  Or get a kid in the neighborhood to climb into the trunk from the back seat area.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
If the key turns real easily or will turn in a complete circle the wire to the latch has come off. Again a small person through the back seat, or a pole with a hook attached to pull the wire and unlock it.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Jim Dahl
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
yes, its the same key for glove box and trunk but the key will not turn in the trunk lock...I guess I'll just have to try going thru the back seat. Does anyone know that if I put a screw driver in the key slot and twist it (breaking it) will that work...I'm resigned to having to replace the entire lock cylinder.
thanks
Jim Dah

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
If you run a drill through the Lock and cut through the Tumblers You should be able to turn the Lock with a Screwdriver. Is this a recent Problem or did You just discover the Trunk Key doesn't work? Sometimes the Cylinder is worn and playing with the Key in the Cylinder it will turn. The Cylinder can be replaced if You get it open and can turn the Key in the Cylinder.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
bergmanj
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
And, you can make your own tumblers and matching key; or, make tumblers to match existing key.

I forget what size; but, the tumbler brass diameter is a common brazing rod diameter (small - 3/32"???).

I've made many a "replacement" tumbler by carefully prying the steel cover off from the tumbler receiver and making new tumblers using said brazing rod, then re-assembling; just chuck a [maybe 2"] short piece into your drill and use a file to "cut" the 45 o ends and cut to length needed square (just match the angle and finish of the old tumblers).

I even changed my ignition and door locks so that the keying went from longest tumbler at end of key to shortest at head of key; key was "stepped" (by filing-off key ridges) rather than leaving ridges between tumbler locations: This enabled me to start car in cold weather, remove key (without shutting off), and lock from outside if I wanted to warm it up with minimal fear of someone coming along and "borrowing" it.  Factory always has at least one longer tumbler toward key head to prevent removal without shutting-off ignition.

Hope this info is of some use for you or others.

Regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I had the same problem with 2 of my 55 crowns, but what I did was take all the tumblers out of the lock, by doing so any Ford (one sided) trunk key would work.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter