Profile Picture

56 Fairlane sway bar

Posted By RB 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Does anyone offer a heavy duty sway bar?.  I am tired of my car wallowing so bad in even a slightly sharp curve
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Royce.   I vaguely recall that '54 Ford station wagons had a significant front sway bar compared to the '54 - '56 cars.

Hope this helps.  : )

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

I considered that but next challenge would be to find one... Plus I wonder how much bigger they are.... 55 and 56 seems to be the only years they are not available
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Royce.  I can't remember the sway bar diameter, but it was significantly bigger than the passenger car and it made a difference in handling of my '54 Mainline business coupe that I wish I had never sold.  I vaguely recall that some '55 - '57 'Bird owners said that the swap improved the handling of their 'Birds.  Also, '54 Ford wagons had 9 leaf rear springs!  I think I took two leafs out of the station wagon rear springs when I put them on my '54.  They did not wrap-up on me under acceleration!   Hehe

Check with Forum member Carl Lynn in Circleville, Ohio for '54 wagon stuff.  Email him at  cl56vic@yahoo.com

Hope this helps!  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am assuming 55 and 56 wagons would have a similar sway bar dia?
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Larry's Thunderbird sells a 1 1/8"  Front Kit P5482A and a 1 inch Rear Kit P5482B for 54-56 Ford Passenger Cars. Kits have Bar and all required Hardware.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you sir!
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Royce.  I know it sounds strange, but my recollection from 1966 is that only the '54 wagons had the different front sway bar and rear springs.

In the '70s, I remember that ADDCO (sp?) was marketing front and rear sway bars for the '55 - '57 'Birds.  IF ADDCO still exists, the 'Bird offering will likely fit the '54 - '56 passenger car.

Another thing that is interesting for '54 - '56 Ford passenger cars, the backing plate arms from '56 and '57 'Birds when swapped onto the passenger car quicken the steering of the car.  I guess there is a ratio change accomplished with the use of the 'Bird arms.  This info.was published in a Q&A  section of Hot Rod Magazine back in the '60s.  I had a friend make the arm change back in the '70s and he said he was surprised at the difference it made.  Apparently, something was different about the dimensions of the arms used on the '56 & '57 'Bird compared to those on the '55 'Bird. 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Addco is still around, I didn’t check the catalog for your year and model. But this discussion just went on at the Ford Barn. Read down to the comments on one particular manufacturer.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256795

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Miker is correct. I see the ADDCO Performance Sway Bars listing for the '55-'57 'Birds, but not for Ford '54 - '56 Ford passenger cars.  For the early 'Birds, ADDCO has both front and rear sway bar diameter information and installation hardware kits.

Click the link below for their web site which includes a catalog of applications.
http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/ford/

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter