Profile Picture

Oil Pump and Con Rods

Posted By Jack Groat 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
On my 292 rebuild I have 2 questions.

1)  Should I buy a new oil pump?  I see new Melling pumps going for around $100.  Right now, my plan is to buy one.

2)  Do good machine shops check con rods?  Check for things cracks, straightness, big end roundness and replace the bronze bushing.  I don't even know if they have bushings yey, but I am guessing they do.. Do you recommend I do this?

Thanks guys
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The way I have always done it is to replace the oil pump and the water pump when I rebuild any engine . As for the connecting rods a good machine shop will do whatever you are willing to pay for and yes the rods should be gone over . It does not pay to do a beautiful rebuild and leave any old pumps just my two cents
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
You don't necessarily need to replace the pump but a complete tear down, cleaning and inspection would be the minimum if the history and condition is unknown.

A machine shop should be able to take care of all of that with your rods.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Considering that the oil pump bolts on the bottom of the oil pan on the outside of the engine would it really matter to reuse the old pump and replace it when it starts to give you trouble?

I mean if we were talking a sbf or a sbc that has the pump in the oil pan itself then yea I would say replace it with a quality new pump.  But with an exterior mounted pump I think it would open up options.

Mer personally on my 302 I am doing for my truck I am doing new melling oil pump standard volume/pressure and a new water pump even though I replaced the water pump a couple years ago.  I work on cars for a living and don't care to do a job a second time out of preference.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Reading This Topic

Site Meter