Profile Picture

Question about 1957 312s

Posted By 442w30 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi.....the F-code engine with supercharger: what state of tune was it in? For example, was it like the 245-horse engine but with a supercharger? 

What about the 2x4 engine? Was that the same as the 245-horse engine aside of carburetion?

What about the heads? 

And, lastly, what was different about the E-Bird upgrade to 285 horses? Was it just compression or was there more?

Thank you!

NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
442w30.  Welcome to the site.  I'll start this reply and others will help I'm sure . . .
I'm not sure of your familiarity with y-block Fords so let me mention the five engine codes referred to in 1957. 
B code was 272 CID; C code was 292 CID; D code was 312 CID w/ single 4 barrel; E code was 312 w/ 2 4s, and the F code was the 312 w/ supercharger.

....the F-code engine with supercharger: what state of tune was it in? For example, was it like the 245-horse engine but with a supercharger? 
- same flat top cast alum. pistons as D code engine
- same camshaft as used on B, C, D, and standard E code engine;  different camshaft used on H.O. F code engine
- different valve springs with inner damper and one piece valve spring retainers than what was used on B, C, and D code engines
- different carburetor;  used a Holley 4000 akin to what was used on '56 Lincolns [carb was not a bolt on swap from a Lincoln however]
- different intake manifold for F code carburetor
- different cylinder head castings; same valve head diameters; larger combustion chambers to lower static compression ratio
- same rocker arm ratios as B, C, D, and E code engines
- different ignition distributor internals;  different distributor plate w/ dual points, different condenser, different distributor cam, different centrifugal advance springs, different vacuum advance chamber utilized, different centrifugal advance curve
- 2 different crankshaft dampers; one for standard trans, different damper for automatic transmission
- different fuel pump

What about the 2x4 engine? Was that the same as the 245-horse engine aside of carburetion?
- same cylinder head castings as those used on B, C, and D code engines; all 4 series engines same valve sizes, combustion chamber volumes
- my understanding is that different valve springs with inner damper and one piece valve spring retainers were utilized commencing in January / February of '57.  These were different than the single coil springs used on B, C, and D code engines
- same camshaft used on B, C, D, and standard F code engine;  different camshaft used on H.O. E code engine
- same rocker arm ratios as B, C, D, and F code engines
- ignition distributor internally tweeked; different secondary centrifugal advance spring than D code; vacuum advance chamber shim pack different; advance curve different than D code engine

What was different about the E-Bird upgrade to 285 horses? Was it just compression or was there more?
- lack of documentation on this issue causes disagreement and debate!  My understanding with unknown component specifics:
- H.O. E code engine utilized a dual point distributor
- H.O. E code engine used a different camshaft than the D code engine

Hope this helps!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

`
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I'll bet big $$$$$.00 that Henry Ford the second didn't know this about the '57 supercharged 312's.
I commend your information and appreciate you knowledge of the 312's.
I believe that I have a '57 312 in my '56 Crown Vic. It has ECZG heads and ECZ  on the bearing caps.
Thanks for the info,
Tim in COLD Florida
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Tim, where in Florida are you? 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

scicala
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)Turbocharged (68 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
NoShortcuts,
  Couldn't have said it any better or even that good. Very good informative answer. The only thing I have to say is about the 285 HP version of the E-code engine, and the 340 HP version of the F-code engine. I believe they both used the same optional camshaft (B7A-C), which had a lot more lift and duration. I believe the camshaft was the only reason for the HP increase in the 270 HP E-code. Not sure if the F-Code 340 HP engine had more boost also.

Sal
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Tim Quinn (1/28/2019)
....I believe that I have a '57 312 in my '56 Crown Vic. It has ECZ-G heads and ECZ  on the bearing caps.

You might want to check the casting date codes on both the heads and the block.  I’ve come across ’56 Ford and Mercury 312 engines with date correct ECZ-G heads.  In these particular cases the heads were all ‘small letter’ G’s and not the ‘big letter’ variety.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter