Profile Picture

Mig welder question

Posted By slumlord444 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
I have a Hobart 110 volt mig that I bought many years back. Never used enough to get good at it. Dug it out and been using it on some sheet metal repair on a '65 Mustang. Still not realy getting the hang of it. In talking to a few friends who have more experience than I do and figured out that mine has a non adjustable gas regulator and theres all have an adjustable regulator. Will and adjustable regulator be worth the cost?
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I may be mistaken and I do not know what your welder looks like but most of the time the gauge set is attached to the tank and you set your flow rate into the machine . Are you using gas or are using flux core wire. What is the model number on the machine maybe you should check with Hobart 
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Give more detail on "not getting the hang of it."  What's happening?

Lawrenceville, GA
slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Not using flux coated wire. Using gas shield. No gas adjustment on the machine. It would be on the gas valve on the tank. Read the book. Pre set from the factory. No adjustment. Problem with spatter, inconsistant welds. Burns through sometimes. Sometimes insufficient penetration with no change in speed or heat settings. Getting a little better but looking to see if I have an equipment problem. I know I need more parctice.
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Do you have a book of any kind with the machine? Some things that can be a problem are; Poor fitup, contamination in weld area, heat setting wrong,  I've seen a book that indicated that most welds should be pulled, but sometines it's better to push the weld where more heat is needed. Best to try a sample piece sometimes rather than make a mess of the needed weld. Also, 110V machines should be avoided for heavier work that is critical, such as say a heavy truck trailer hitch.. I don't weld any more & a lot of my work was with stick, so others here more into it, may have other suggestions.   

Paul
Vic Correnti
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Is the polarity right?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I had issues like that when I was learning.  I discovered that I didn't have the wire drive wheels tight enough so the wire feed was inconsistent.  Made that tighter and I was instantly a better welder.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Rusty wire is at the top of the list for creating problems for MIG welders.  This ends up being an issue with welders that are stored in non-heated areas.  Never used a ‘fixed regulator’ for the gas and until you mentioned it, didn’t know one was even available.  I've also had issues using straight argon as it welds at a cooler temperature.   For MIG welding I use a mix of argon and carbon dioxide.   I typically have my regulator for wire welding set at about 20 cfm..

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

metal being welded must be clean,any rust or paint will cause issues, if welding a repair part be sure the 2nd part is sound. also start with small tacks till you are sure the 2parts are correct. re alignment.  I found but welds are for those who are experts.. get a crimper so you are ending to good metal. on a mustang work on arias that are not visible to get practice,they are on the thin side to start. don't do long welds as heat builds  burn threw is always there
slumlord444
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm using argon/co2 mix. Got a retulator today and starte at 30cfm and tinkered with it for some time today. Kicked the heat up a noch. Working better. I know to make very short welds on sheet metal. I never thought about the wire having gotten rusty or dirty in storage, It was in an unheated wood storage shed for a lot of years. Will look at that next time I am working on it. I've already had to play with the tension on the drive wheels. I was always prety good with an acdtyliene torch but only fair with a stick welder. As with anything practice makes perfect. I figure by the time I get this Mustang done I should at least be getting decent with it.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter