Profile Picture

Crown Vic owners & restorers. What'd you do for your black square details?

Posted By RocketsGarage 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Crown Vic owners & restorers. What'd you do for your black square...

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The Vic's have the filled in squares on the B-pillar moldings, "tierra" roof trim, headlight bezels, etc. Do you guys use vinyl, paint, or?? Thanks...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5802580d-89ed-48c6-9857-b6e3.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d5b21be2-d0bd-4649-b022-e437.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
56 Side moulding has the same thing. I used tape and satin black spray.... tape was the green (I think) 3M that made a fine line. I did some with vinyl pin strip for the edge but you need to take it off quick. Good Luck

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
bergmanj
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I used black flat paint with masking too.  In the future, I may try to mask and bead-blast the painted areas to satin, then paint again: Some paints (most) do not like to "stick" to shiny stainless and will start flaking in time as mine is starting to do now.  I think that bead-blasting those areas may help with paint adhesion.

Regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
carl
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

I taped mine off then used self etching primer and then painted them with satin black,its been 15 years ago and still looks great  Carl
RocketsGarage
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)Supercharged (97 reputation)

Thanks for all the reply and advice. Has any one ever tried to make vinyl squares or anything like that? I'm just thinking you'd get a real nice edge that way.
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Not sure if they are supposed to be glossy or satin or flat.

I have used on my 78 Mercury for the grill trim and around the headlight bezels this flat black paint by Duplicolor called "Trim Black".  It sticks pretty good on metal even so I been thinking of using it on my Fairlane on the rear body side moldings and the little squares along the top of the back window.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

I painted my side trim black areas on my 56 Vicky back around 1987. They still look pretty good today. Could stand a reshoot with some flat black someday. Rattle can and tape worked fine. Maybe after masking a rub with Scotch Bright would help.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter