Profile Picture

Engine Masters Challenge 2019 rules are posted. Early iron pre'68 is only class possible for Y.

Posted By Joe-JDC 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Engine Masters Challenge 2019 rules are posted. Early iron pre'68 is...

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Rules are posted at:     https://www.hotrod.com/events/engine-masters-challenge/      Joe-JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Cool.  Looks like they want to get more stuff involved than the Y-Blocks, MEL's and Poly's.

The OEM head rule seems ambiguous.  Like would a vortec head be accepted as oem for a 60s sbc?

Lawrenceville, GA
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
These don't look Y Block friendly
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

After looking at the rules a couple of times, it seems they are trying to be rid of the Y Block, but if someone were to attempt it, I believe a well thought out engine could still be competitive at the 10.5 compression ratio and .550" camshaft lift.  The Y Block heads I have ported these last several years are very competitive in flow with just about all the original iron heads before '69 model year.  And the flow at .550" will not be significantly better with the best SBC 327/350 head with 2.020" intake valve if they use the correct pre'69 heads.  Where they are better is the intake manifolds, and header selection, and crankshaft stroker kits.  Still a good Y Block could be interesting if they would allow it.  Joe-JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

I don't think stroker kits would help as much since stroke is limited to a 10% change.

Lawrenceville, GA
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I wonder if a 471 blower manifold could be made to fit the rules with a single 4bbl?
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

charliemccraney (1/10/2019)
I don't think stroker kits would help as much since stroke is limited to a 10% change.

I believe stroke of 3.760" or so with a 312 crankshaft would be an acceptable torque producer for Y, and if a person could use a 3.860-3.864" bore, as a 312 would be allowed, then 113, or -G heads fully ported without any tubes or welding and use 2.000" intake with 5/16" stems and 1.540" exhaust with 5/16" stems, BT or Mummert intake, FPA headers, and .550' camshaft ground on 106 ICL, it could be decent in the hp/cubic inch and torque.  Any more ideas?  Joe-JDC

JDC
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I see another thing in their rules that needs clarification.  For the engine block, they state that it must have the oem main bore diameter but for the crankshaft, they state that any journal diameter is permitted.  If the block must match oem, and a 312 is claimed, then it has to have the larger mains.  Probably not a huge compromise considering the ci increase vs frictional loss from the larger bearings compared to an engine claimed as a 292.  If the crankshaft rule holds then it can be claimed as a 312 but have 292 mains, even better.

For rocker arms, do any aftermarket rockers match the NHRA stock eliminator rule for a Y?  What exactly does that mean?

Lawrenceville, GA
LordMrFord
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Joe-JDC (1/10/2019)
Rules are posted at:     https://www.hotrod.com/events/engine-masters-challenge/      Joe-JDC

"Due to the EU’s Global Data Protection Regulation, our website is currently unavailable to visitors from most European countries. We apologize for this inconvenience and encourage you to visit www.motortrend.com for the latest on new cars, car reviews and news, concept cars and auto show coverage, awards and much more."

Nice to live in European(soviet) Union.
>(

Hyvinkää, FI
yalincoln
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I see they are eliminateing the mel engine, no intake! the y-block should still be a good competitor! it will be great to see how the y-block stands up against the sbc! I don't think they can make enough hp to make up for there lack in torque! I see they did give them 7000rpm. and they handycapped the y-block with cu in! good luck guys! I hope you have better luck this year!

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter