Profile Picture

Ford-O-Matic

Posted By Rusty_S85 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
The shop manual shows Type A fluid.  Dexron should be a replacement for it. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks for the reply. Will probably just run Dexeon/Mercon after the rebuild. I was loading the engine up making some carb idle mixture adjustments and it feels like second wanted to slip a bit.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
DEXRON III is the current DEXRON.

FORD discontinued their version of DEXRON, MERCON.

MERCON V is a synthetic which replaced earlier versions of MERCON.

I am sure the re-builder will give you info as to what is required for make-up/service.

Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

KULTULZ (1/12/2019)
DEXRON III is the current DEXRON.

FORD discontinued their version of DEXRON, MERCON.

MERCON V is a synthetic which replaced earlier versions of MERCON.

I am sure the re-builder will give you info as to what is required for make-up/service.

Correct.  I am going to ask the old timer when he has room to do the rebuild what he recommends to run in it.

I need to email this other guy ask him about the clutch drum hes selling for $90 if its a new unit or if its a used unit as it doesn't state on his site.

Considering how I power braked the car I felt the transmission slip some so the old timer might be right that it might need a clutch drum as well.

Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I would try a service and adjustment, the sound you hear maybe a plugged filter.
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Cliff (1/12/2019)
I would try a service and adjustment, the sound you hear maybe a plugged filter.

Ironically that's what I was talking with my dad about just now.  Was saying with how I felt it slip and the fact that the transmission manual states transmission band adjustment to be done every 15,000 miles seems to tell me I might be able to get away with just a simple adjustment if the band isn't smoked.

Last adjustment I have listed in my grandfather`s notepad that was in the ash tray indicates the bands were adjusted at 75,600 miles on August 2, 1963.  No other listing up to 1980s with a transmission service mentioned.

As of now at 155,000 miles the transmission has gone almost 80,000 miles with no service.  Considering this notepad has things like points, anti freeze change, rear axle oil change, and oil and filter changes I don't think he would have failed to write down when the transmission was serviced but yet write it down once though.

So I was telling my dad I think I am going to just simply take the car to the old timer and ask him what does he think.  Give him the information I have and see if he thinks a simple band adjustment and service would be enough to keep it on the road or if he recommends a overhaul.  I already had my eyes set on a overhaul but if a band adjustment is all it needs I hate to have the old guy pull the transmission out if it doesn't have to come out.

Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
That's a 1 hour job you can do, 1 adjustment is on the outside of the case, the other is inside, a plugged filter will do just as you describe, adjust the kick down as per the manual, do not just start changing it and taking it for a drive.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter