Profile Picture

Valve Spring Micrometer

Posted By Tedster 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I recall reading here some years ago that, due the size of the valve guide boss castings it's difficult if not impossible to find one that will work with Y Blocks.

Is this still the case? There are workarounds to setting installed height of course but there is no denying the ease and accuracy of this tool. I want one. What do I gotta do?
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 22 minutes ago
The best fix is to cut the guides down for PC seals, leaving enough boss for a spring locator if you need it.  But I have an old micrometer from 30 years ago that is large enough to fit over the boss.  The problem today is a micrometer that has the large base and small top for beehive spring size retainers.  They are available from Jegs, but the knurled body hits the rocker arm stand boss on some heads.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Joe-JDC (1/4/2019) class="quote-message">The best fix is to cut the guides down for PC seals, leaving enough boss for a spring locator if you need it.  But I have an old micrometer from 30 years ago that is large enough to fit over the boss.

I don't want to make a career out of it and get in too deep, is that particular micrometer still made?

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have both the regular one and the beehive spring one from Summit. I actually had to drill out the first 1/2" of the beehive one to have my retainers sit flat.
They are listed a Valve Spring Micrometers. and there are different lengths. Mine both go to 2,100" and I've never used them on a Y.
You can get the diameters from the manufacturer. I believe both of mine are Pro-Form

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer (1/5/2019)I have both the regular one and the beehive spring one from Summit. I actually had to drill out the first 1/2" of the beehive one to have my retainers sit flat.

Is that all there is to it, to make them work, is drilling the ID larger? That sounds almost doable.

They are listed as Valve Spring Micrometers. And there are different lengths. Mine both go to 2.100" and I've never used them on a Y.

I know what they are called and that they have different sizes, the idea generally is to find one specifically that is known to work on Y Block heads without any major contortions on my part.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I was very suprised to see the retainer for the Howard Beehive springs I bought would not go in and be flat so I could measure needed spring height. The non beehive mic' s top the smaller retainer went down into a lip and would not work. I measured the inner lip of the beehive retainer and decided there was enought meat on the mic and drilled down into it about 3/8" to clear the retainer. I used my bearing scraper to champher the top of the hole. I can include photos if you like. I only use 12 retainers on my inline 6 and have the 4 spares.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Tedster
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well that may (or may not) help - keep in mind I am just a simple guy trying to do a simple job. Talk to me like I'm 5, and maybe I'll understand.

I just want a valve spring micrometer that works on my Y Block. If it gets too complicated I'll have to go lie down for a while.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
I was hoping TED would have come on and tell us what he uses.

He's a busy man ... BigGrin

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
For the beehive valve springs and using a height mic, I machined a small flat aluminum washer to allow the small beehive valve spring retainers to fit flush with the top of the height mic.  Here’s are pictures.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/32713ff1-142a-44f1-beee-7d8e.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2594ff60-d0ae-4d3f-8632-9d76.jpg 

Those ~0.975” diameter valve guide bosses are too large for a majority of the valve spring height mics out there.  There are a random few by unknown manufacturers that will get the job done but those are hard to find.  Mine are on the order of twenty or more years old.  Many Y heads I do require the guide shoulders to be machined to a smaller diameter to fit smaller I.D. springs or spring cups that require those smaller guide bosses.  Those machined valve guide bosses then work with the current crop of valve spring height mics.  When I do have to work with the stock 0.975” guide bosses, I have a variety of tools which get the job done.  I have some older height mics that work but also snap gauges or a modified dial caliper can also used.  Here are pictures of each.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e34d218e-0887-4555-b7ce-d1e8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b42d6106-84b4-4b8f-874f-4cb3.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter