Profile Picture

Steering gear removal

Posted By Jim Dahl 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I am going to have the steering gear in my '56 Victoria rebuilt  and have decided to have Straight Line Steering in California do it.. Now the problem I'm unable to remove the gear itself. As I understand it the steering column has to come out and then the gear comes out through the passenger compartment. I'm worried about the carpet and white interior getting messed up or stained. I am taking a shot in the dark that if anyone knows of someone in the southern half of iowa or norther part of Missouri that is good at this type of thing.....let me know. I know there are a few members to this forum that live in Iowa and thought they might be able to suggest someone that would be good at removing it. Thanks
Jim Dahl
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
The Steering Gear comes out of the Engine Compartment. The outer Steering Column comes off through the Passenger Compartment. You have to remove the Shifter Arm(s) first. It's not Rocket Science to remove it. The Procedure is covered in the Shop Manual. Rock Auto sells a Reprint Shop Manual for the best Price I have come across.
You might also check out Lares Corp for steering Gear rebuild.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Jim Dahl
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

OldCarMark
THANK YOU !! Thanks for your help. For some reason I thought the whole steering gear had to come out through the firewall into the passenger compartment. I don't know why I thought that but....(age ?).  Doesn't look to bad after going throught the service manual....Thanks again
Jim
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

I did mine a few Years ago. The biggest Hassle is getting the Shifter Arms off the shift Tube. Held on by roll Pins. I had an Automatic so it was only One Pin. Just make a Note of Your Turn Signal Switch Wiring or use Masking Tape to tag each One. If You pull the Pitman Arm off the Box make sure You make a note of how many Turns of the Steering Wheel  is Centre. The Arm will go back on in any Position and You can end up in wrong place. Do not take Steering Wheel off to reposition to correct Centre of Steering. It must go back on in One Position only using Master Spline.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
oldcarmark (1/6/2019)
I did mine a few Years ago. The biggest Hassle is getting the Shifter Arms off the shift Tube. Held on by roll Pins. I had an Automatic so it was only One Pin. Just make a Note of Your Turn Signal Switch Wiring or use Masking Tape to tag each One. If You pull the Pitman Arm off the Box make sure You make a note of how many Turns of the Steering Wheel  is Centre. The Arm will go back on in any Position and You can end up in wrong place. Do not take Steering Wheel off to reposition to correct Centre of Steering. It must go back on in One Position only using Master Spline.

Mark, I am not sure what roll pins you are talking about, when I did my 56 Fairlane I just unclamped the shift tube from the steering shaft tube and removed both thru the car after removing the floor seal. It leaves about a 6 inch hole to pull the shafts thru.I then removed the steering box out the bottomhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e358cb50-75c8-4853-9b1c-776b.jpg
62bigwindow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I did mine just like Kevin did except I left the shift tube and column intact. Mine is a 3 speed so that may be different than a auto. What part of Iowa are you in? I'm in Northeast Missouri if you need help.

Durham Missouri
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If You take the Floor Seal out it should come out complete. I forget why I did not do it that way. Must have been a reason for Me anyway. Mine was an Automatic. I took the Box itself out on the Engine Side but out the Top. 

Jim Dahl
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

62 Big Window
I'm located about 40 miles south of Iowa City (Washington) Thanks for your offer. I think with all the help from this forum I'll be able to get it done. This site with all the YBlock  "helpers" has been so much help over the years, just can't tell everyone how much its appreciated...Thanks!!!
Jim Dahl

Reading This Topic

Site Meter