Profile Picture

Timing chain cover removal

Posted By texas55 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Need a little help again folks.  Can I remove the cover off of the timing chain without supporting the engine.  My 55 tbird has the steady mounts, if I read the manual correctly it says I can???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Lee
Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I recently had the engine out of my 1955 Thunderbird. The engine in this car is only supported by the front mount which is bolted to the timing cover and the rear transmission mount.  I installed new steady rests on my engine and they do seem strong enough to support the engine but they are pretty far back.  That's a lot of weight to put on them.  I do believe you can remove the timing cover with the engine in the car, but I would support the engine from underneath the front.  By the time you have all the crap off the front of the engine, you might as well take it out.  It's not that hard to remove the engine from a 55 Bird.   I found it easier to installed the engine and transmission together.  To get the hood to line back up, drill some 1/8" guide holes in the hinges before you take it off.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/787d5091-5bd0-460d-a151-d444.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I'm sure you would have to jack up the engine enough to remove the pressure on the front mount enough to remove it.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
John/Hoosier is correct.  You have to take off the pressure on the front mount.  I think the best way is to put a jack under the oil pan (use a wide block of 2 by or a wide piece of metal between the jack and pan.  Since there is minimal movement on the steady rests you may have to loosen them up

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter