Profile Picture

PCV conversion on 292 Rebuild

Posted By Danny 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Danny (12/16/2018)
..... Is that a metal sleeve welded to the valley pan opening where the grommet is inserted? Part number for the pcv valve?

That is a removable sleeve which simply allows the valley cover to retain the ¼-20 threaded stud in the valley cover hole so that the Thunderbird road draft tube can be installed later for originality purposes if so desired.  I normally cut the stud down within the valley cover hole for PCV valve clearance and just install a grommet in the existing hole.  It’s recommended to plumb the PCV valve to a location close the carburetor.  Tapping into the vacuum port at the back of a ECZ-B, Blue Thunder, or Mummert intake for a PCV valve creates a lean condition on those rear cylinders.  That rear port is not a problem with vacuum wipers or power brakes as those systems are not a constant air draw on the engine.  A working PCV valve will draw 3-6 cfm.  The PCV valve I use the most of for the Y-Blocks is a Microgard #2322 while the grommet is a Dorman #42323.  Here’s a picture of the PCV valve where the grommet is simply installed in the valley cover hole.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c07a539b-2b5d-4c65-83f9-bdea.jpg

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Danny
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the explanation, advice and pictures. I will print this information and give it to my engine builder.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
CASCO-

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/aa555511-be83-4aa9-90da-899e.jpg

I cringe at the thought of violating an origional OEM piece ... w00t

paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
With the kit above (teapot kit)you should not have any hood clearance problems on a sedan.  However, on a Bird it is very tight and clearance should be checked.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 11 days ago
Ted (12/16/2018)
The PCV valve hookup needs to be as close as possible to the carburetor to insure that the ‘spent’ vapors can be more evenly distributed to all the cylinders.  If the carburetor has no 3/8” hose port, then a spacer under the carb with a appropriate PCV hose hook up is the next best option.  Where there’s no room for a carburetor spacer, then drilling and tapping a ¼”NPT threaded hole at the intake manifold just below the carburetor would be another option.  Here are some pictures of what was done to a ECZ-A manifold for a ’56 Thunderbird to add a PCV valve.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c3cfc134-62d5-47ee-a152-3c3a.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8665f57e-09e7-4ba3-9d04-2963.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4c13fa0e-6f7c-4cd7-a27b-2846.jpg 

I notice You have Fuel Line in place for the PCV. Do You usually use Fuel Line or PCV Hose or is this just temporary?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 11 days ago
paul2748 (12/17/2018)
With the kit above (teapot kit)you should not have any hood clearance problems on a sedan.  However, on a Bird it is very tight and clearance should be checked.

If the Kit above is used with an Adapter Plate to use the later Carb on an "A" Manifold as well as a Phenolic Spacer(recommended)  the Stock Air Cleaner Clearance on a Sedan is going to be very  close. Either use a "B" Manifold or Tap for a Fitting as Ted suggested close to the Carb Base.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
cokefirst
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
this is just my opinion, but I would leave this as an open PCV system.  That means you use the PCV valve and hook it to vacuum, but that you don't install the hose between the valve cover or oil filler cap and the air cleaner.  you can also seal the lower breather by cutting off the tube that inserts through the hole in the side of the block and then use a thin metal plate between the block and the breather and use a gasket on both sides of that plate.  This will make it look like the breather is on the side of the block, but it will be sealed.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

this is just my opinion, but I would leave this as an open PCV system.  That means you use the PCV valve and hook it to vacuum, but that you don't install the hose between the valve cover or oil filler cap and the air cleaner.

Nah, your thinking is good. However, one has to find a quality cap that has an effective filtering media. Most of the junk I have seen recently has that plastic foam insert. IMO, you need to find one that uses a coarse metal media heavier than say an SOS pad. And of course it needs to be serviced on a regular basis.

PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month

Since  you are going to require a carb adaptor & mods to your "A" manifold, you might want to aquire instead a "B" manifold which will eliminate the carb adaptor & as pointed out also has a vacuum port at the back. And using a carb adaptor can sometimes be less than ideal for performance. The B intake also performs better when the revs are up a bit.. Just a thought or two..

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The vacuum inlet on the ECZ-B intake is meant as a vacuum source for a booster/wipers. If used for PCV, the fumes will be limited to NOS 7 & 8 cyls and will cause possible cylinder(s) fouling and the cylinders possibly running lean. You want the PCV fume ingestion to be introduced into the intake carb plenum for equal distribution to all cylinders.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d57da22d-650a-444f-8440-b18b.jpg

The CASCO kit I showed has a 3/8" plate whereas OEM is 1/4". Instructions say specifically not to use the 55 BIRD base gasket because of the thickness.

There is little choice on the BIRD unless you use the vacuum inlet on the front of the carb plenum on the 55, adapt ingestion to the vacuum fitting on the H4000 carb base on a 56, or drill and tap as shown.

Sorry as I am a detail nut (CDO - correct alphabetical order)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter