Profile Picture

57 312 temp range?

Posted By Barry 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi guys,
The 30 years I have owned this car I have used a 160 wide flow thermostat and car had stayed dead middle of dash gauge.
Now with the fuel injection the computer gives me a constant readout and normal driving is 171, 99% of time.
If I go through stop and go in town temp will hit 185.
So I have the computer starting the electric fan at 185 and shutting off at 180.
I would like to keep fan off but have no idea what these y-blocks can handle temp wise.
190 area??
Ideas where to set fan?
thanks
Barry

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Generally speaking, an EFI System wants to see at a minimum 190*- 195* as that is where most are calibrated to cut off the enrichment system (choke). If running below that, the fuel curve will be too fat.

What system are you running and what does the INSTR SHEET say about engine operating temp?

A properly sealed FYB will take the higher temps if the radiator is good.

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
The engine itself will handle whatever the cooling system is designed for.  If stock, go by the stock pressure rating.  If aftermarket, then possibly 15lbs or so.  You can find charts online that show the boiling point at different pressures for a particular mixture of coolant.

Another thing to be aware of is if you are using the stock temperature sender location, then the engine temperature is actually about 15 degrees higher at the thermostat housing.  This is because the coolant still has to absorb heat from 3 more combustion chambers before it makes it to the thermostat.  You're not going to keep the fan off in stop and go traffic.  You might keep it off a little longer but it simply will not stay cool in that situation without the fan.

190 should be fine, if you want to bump it up too that.  The engine will let you know when it is too hot by boiling over.  If you install a temporary on/of switch, to override the computer, that will allow you to get home to readjust, if it does boil over at a higher setting.

My '88 Firebird uses somewhere around a 15lb system.  The fan turns on at about 220.  Below that, in normal operating temperature range, I can see the temperature rising pretty quickly by looking at the gauge, and via data logging software on a computer.  By that observation, a 5 or 10 degree difference for the turn on point isn't going to buy much time.  I think (might be wrong) the fan only turns on so high, in this instance, for emissions because at cruise, it will be around 200

Lawrenceville, GA
Barry
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks guys, its a new holly system that is self adjusting when temp gets to 160.
It has its own temp sensor and checking with laser gun seems to be spot on.
I did install a fan bypass switch and in past not kicking fan on the car has not puked in years since I put an overflow catch on it.
With this info I will move fan set to somewhere in the 190-195 range.
Thanks again.
Barry

Reading This Topic

Site Meter