Profile Picture

Reverse light switch

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello can someone tell me where the reverse light switch is located on a 1955 Ford Fairlanr with an automatic transmission . Thank you
Dave C
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I understand it is part of the neutral start switch. The only thing I have seen listed is for a 57 Ford which are the same.

Dave
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
It is part of the Neutral Start Switch on the Steering column above the Box.If U don't have backup Lights there are only 2 Wires and 2 unused Terminals. The 2 Terminals would have Wires for Backup Lights.The Switch is available now as a Repro Part. 55-57 take the same Switch.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
bergmanj
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
It IS part of the Neutral Start switch; it's mounted in the engine compartment onto the steering column near the driver's exhaust manifold & about 6" ,or so, away from the firewall. Steering column has a mounting bracket onto which that switch mounts and is somewhat adjustable for the linkage when shift lever is in neutral for start - and, backup lights for reverse (some "fiddling" may be required for both to work correctly).

Though it does mechanically "fit" correctly, the '57 switch has different connectors than the '55 (as I found out when trying to replace my '55 with a '57 in order to obtain "start" in "Park", too); so, if not using an original design, you'll probably need to make some changes to the connectors on the connecting wire ends.

Hope this helps you or others.

Regards, JLB

Edit: Interesting OLDCARMARK (I apparently was in process of posting when you were!), that it sounds as if your switch was fully compatible; as, the NOS one I have has different connectors -- oh well  -- maybe another "Ford" thing.

OLDCARMARK: I stand corrected - apparently the switch sold to me as a '57 was actually a '58!!!  This forum has so much good, detailed, and helpful information!

p.s., I modified my original '55 for stat in PARK, also; it's very difficult and detail-oriented - If you can by an upgraded one, i'd recommend it over the modification (mod. is good - just took a LOT of valuable time).

Thanks for the information - regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Yes I also have the later switch because I wanted the car to start in park. I never realized the switch also took care of the reverse lights . I never took the car apart when I got it, it was in pieces so now I know thanks to all .
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

bergmanj (12/4/2018)
It IS part of the Neutral Start switch; it's mounted in the engine compartment onto the steering column near the driver's exhaust manifold & about 6" ,or so, away from the firewall. Steering column has a mounting bracket onto which that switch mounts and is somewhat adjustable for the linkage when shift lever is in neutral for start - and, backup lights for reverse (some "fiddling" may be required for both to work correctly).

Though it does mechanically "fit" correctly, the '57 switch has different connectors than the '55 (as I found out when trying to replace my '55 with a '57 in order to obtain "start" in "Park", too); so, if not using an original design, you'll probably need to make some changes to the connectors on the connecting wire ends.

Hope this helps you or others.

Regards, JLB

Edit: Interesting OLDCARMARK (I apparently was in process of posting when you were!), that it sounds as if your switch was fully compatible; as, the NOS one I have has different connectors -- oh well  -- maybe another "Ford" thing.

The Switch that Starts in  "Park" is the 1958 Switch. Looks the same as 57 but has an extra internal Connection to start in Park. One Terminal is different from the 55-57 Wire but easy to change. I have done a couple of these. I wish they would repop the 58 Switch as the Originals have gotten Pricey because its become common Knowledge that they fit 55-57 and are better than Original Switch. When used to activate Backup Lights the Power Wire from Ignition Switch goes on One Terminal and the Wire from other Terminal goes to Backup Lights.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
In 55-57 TBirds, the power to the backup light switch comes from the light switch.  The back up light, originally, only worked when the parking or headlights were on.  While I don't know for sure, I think the sedans were wired the same way, but a sedan owner can clear this up..

A lot of the TBird owners moved the power wire to a source that was live all the time so the lights would go on anytime the car was put into reverse.

And oldcarmark is correct - the 58 neutral safety/backup light switch was the first to start the car in park

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

On my 56 the Ignition switch must be on for the Backup Lights to work.

oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If anyone is looking to update their Neutral Switch so it starts in Park also there is a Listing on Ebay at a fair Price and the Switches look pretty Pristine. He has 3 available. I bought One for my Friends 56. These fit 55, 56, and 57 Passenger Cars. Not Thunderbird. Start in Neutral and Park and no One can tell the Difference just by Appearance. Item # 223260125175.

bergmanj
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
OLDCARMARK, thanks; see edits in my post above.

Regards, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top

Reading This Topic

Site Meter