Profile Picture

Thunderbird Power Steering

Posted By Brent 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

I am in the process of rebuilding the power steering for my ’55Thunderbird. 

I have the Early Pump which returns to the pump body, 

I have a choice of using either:
2-Tooth (AD3550A) or  3-Tooth (AF3550A) Gear Box
Early Ram Cylinder – 2-1/8” or Late Ram Cylinder – 1-11/16” 
Early or Late Control Valve

The size difference of the Early Ram (bigger’s better?) makes me wonder if I should use the Early Ram with the Late 3-tooth Gear and the Late Control Valve (typically late is better?)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I will use Lares Corp to rebuild the parts. I found them as a result of searching through the archives. Y-BlocksForever is the best tool I have. THANKS!!! 

https://www.larescorp.com/

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I replaced a very worn 2 tooth with a rebuilt 3 in my bird years ago. It wasn’t a fair comparison, but the 3 tooth is a nice driving box.

I stayed with the early ram and pump, so I can’t help there, but I’d agree later is better on the early birds.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter