Profile Picture

Glass setting tape

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello , I am installing new glass into new lifts for the very first time , does anyone know the thickness of the tape used . I have the glass and lifts I have to order the tape . Thanks Also I am going to try the Molasses and water and the electric method of removing rust. I will get back with my results in week or so to see which way works best for me . Thanks again
Rono
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Measure the thickness of the glass with a micrometer, then measure the with of the glass channel. take the difference and divide by 2 and that will give you the thickness of the tape you need.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I did that a few years back. My buddy and I spent the winter doing his Nomad and my bird side by side in his shop. I had new bottom channels and new glass. After talking to the local glass shop and another buddy who spent his life doing auto and windows in general, I used the current auto sealant product. It’s a urethane IIRC. With the tape you pound the glass down into the channel, and I didn’t like the sound of that. We put the sealer in the channel, set the glass, cleaned the excess then clamped them up so everything stayed true while it set. If we would have installed the whole works the front/rear channels would have done that.

All the new fussies, rollers, alignment etc. made a huge difference in rattles and wind noise in both cars. Well worth the effort whiscruber method you use.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter