Profile Picture

Mini starter

Posted By miker 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
The 11 year old geared mini starter in the roadster just died again after 6 months and probably a dozen starts. I’d gone thru the current carrying points, but now the solenoid refusing to work at anything over 70 degrees. I’m pretty sure it’s the safety shut off to prevent over cranking and overheating. I’m not sure which unit it is, it’s not marked and it’s been too many years.

So who’s had good luck with what brand? It’s in a truck bellhousing and the headers are right there. The starter and the two close tubes have been wrapped for insulation. Battery voltage, grounds, etc all check out.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
http://www.autoelec.com/html/y_block_ford_gear_reduction_starter.html

Flawless for about 15 years now.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
same here -  do you have the type with the solenoid  top like a brand X ?  They've always had heat problems

charliemccraney (11/16/2018)

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

No, mines the same general layout as what Charlie linked. Different electrical connections, so it’s not the same. I built that engine back in 05-06, so it’s been around a while. I just think it a design problem and I’m done. I know about brand x, but the motor home and the vette were easier to get to to dump a bottle of water on them.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Lord Gaga
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
miker (11/16/2018)
The 11 year old geared mini starter in the roadster just died again after 6 months and probably a dozen starts. I’d gone thru the current carrying points, but now the solenoid refusing to work at anything over 70 degrees. I’m pretty sure it’s the safety shut off to prevent over cranking and overheating. I’m not sure which unit it is, it’s not marked and it’s been too many years.

So who’s had good luck with what brand? It’s in a truck bellhousing and the headers are right there. The starter and the two close tubes have been wrapped for insulation. Battery voltage, grounds, etc all check out.

I have had a 1955 factory Ford 6v starter in my 12v converted high compression 312 for over 20 years with no problems. Starts right up-without the funny noise of a mini!

"FREE SAMPLE"
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes, still the original 6 v starter in my 12v 55 bird. But the clearance is more of an issue in a 32 with hood sides.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter