Profile Picture

Fuel injection.

Posted By 55charliebird 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Has anyone installed fuel injection on a 55 bird, 292 block.  Talk me through it.  I'm curious because someone suggested it but didn't tell me details. 
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I sent a pm, post back if it doesn’t come thru.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Can't remember his name but on of our members has installed one of the units on a 4-barrel manifold. I believe it was an FITech, The Tech guy for Edelbrock is really good on their unit, his name is Nathan. Good Luck

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
You'll probably have to convert to 12v for any fuel injection.

Lawrenceville, GA
Lou
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 48 minutes ago
If you need 12 volts on a 6 volt system you can install a "rectifier" on the line. The cost is about 20 dollars, I installed one years ago on my 55 crown to run my tape player, at that time I got it from Radio Shack, I don't know who would have them now.
LordMrFord
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

All the high power electrical stuff what fuel injection needs and old DC generator (6V or 12V) sounds like picking blood out of nose to me.

Hyvinkää, FI
marvh
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

I installed a FAST fuel injection system on my 56 Crown's 312 about four years ago. Idle, start up, running and fuel economy very improvement.With fuel injection you need a return fuel line and a high pressure fuel pump. The FAST injection system requires 37psig. I used a Denso fuel pump that is used with the twin turbo Supra. This Denso pump is one of the few able to supply the volume and pressure needed. I installed a Ford 6G alternator rated at  135 amps with dual belts, single belt can't handle belt load at that amperage. Lord Mr Ford is correct in needing a higher output charging system especially with all the electrical components used with  a fuel injection system, to fire the injectors, electric fuel pump etc.
LordMrFord
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Bosch 085 is quite famous being very reliable and powerful fuel pump.

If you need quiet solution, then you might start to think, how to get fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

Hyvinkää, FI
marvh
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

The Denso pump is also very quiet unlike the Walbro pump. I bought a new tank which had the ability to install the pump inside the tank. I had to do so modifications to the trunk floor to clear the fuel lines by cutting two parallel cuts in the the trunk floor the width of the fuel unit, then bending the piece upwards then fiberglass the open areas. The tank is larger then the stock tank, so deeper and to lower the tank to clear the fuel lines could be a tail dragger

Barry
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi Guy,
Well not on a 55 but just installed a Holly Sniper EFI on my 57 bird 312.
I always thought putting an AOD behind it was best time and money ever spent but this surpasses the AOD, hands down.
First I will guarantee you like said it must be a 12 volt system.
Here is my issue I'm fighting right now.
My system was converted about 20 years ago to an alternator one post from Casco and it was about a 40 amp.
First thing is had my alternator guy build me a 100 amp, system works great BUT with the new computer I had the electric fan set at 185 kick on and hit my first city traffic stop.
after 4 minutes of idle engine shook and shut off for lack of juice.
So now I have my guy build me a 150 amp but most important it has a self exciter in it where its putting out up to 50 amps at 800 RPMS. Just installed it last Saturday and seems to have solved the problem UNLESS
fan and  lights are both on and it won't stall but engine a little shaky after 7 to 8 minute's of idle. This weekend I have some 2ga wire will run from bat side of alt and replace the yellow and red wire and this should carry the load.
I'm in a learning mode here but I think on right track.
 Hope this helps you!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter