Profile Picture

6 Volt Generator for 1955 T-Bird

Posted By Tater Salad 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Does anyone know if there was a difference in mid 50's generators or if the thunderbird had a unique one? I am in search of one for my car, but it seems the price triples or more when I mention what I'll be using the generator on. 
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
The T-Bird generator has a different rear plate that relocates the armature terminal.  If that is not done, there is a likelihood that the armature terminal will touch the front of the block and ground out the generator output.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
Larry's Thunderbird shows them at $163.00 Exchange. Cheaper than the 56 Passenger Car Ones.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
It was common for mechanics to replace 40A/6V T-Bird generators with more available/lower rated passenger core rebuilds. They will work ok, but adjusting the regulator & insulating the terminals likely couldn’t hurt. Original cores are getting scarce, so prices will reflect that. Don’t know exactly why the amp ratings were different, since I seem to remember the armature part # is the same (?). But, since repro end & ID plates are readily available, you wouldn’t want to trade in your original core if you could have it rebuilt instead.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 45 minutes ago
The pulley in the front is different than a sedan - does not stick out as far.  There is a conversion unit that the Tbird parts guys have that relocates the terminal, at least for a 56/57.  I don't know if the 55 was different..  On my 56 I had both situations    - the wrong pulley and the terminal situation.  I got the conversion kit from CASCO and , luckily, the front pulley from a local starter/generator rebuilder.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Tater Salad
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)Normally aspirated (28 reputation)

I did finally come across the one in larry's yesterday. Best price I've seen yet... by far. Thanks much
Tater Salad
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

I didn't get the generator or brackets, that was the only missing parts on the car. Thanks for your reply
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Keep in mind that when you look for brackets that the T-Bird is completely different than passenger car or truck brackets.  Unless you want the Bird to be completely original, you may be better off to adapt an alternator.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
cokefirst
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The 1955 Thunderbird generator is 40 amps and the passenger car was 30 amps.  the Thunderbird had a unique end plate to keep the battery wire on the back of the generator from coming in contact with the engine.  The Thunderbird generator sits closer to the engine and will short out if you use a passenger car end plate.  

If you want the look of a generator but the power of an alternator, I highly recommend the Power Gen unit.  They look like a generator but they are an alternator.  They are pricey, but I hve them on a couple of my cars and I like them.  The 6 volt is only made in the one wire configuration which means it won't turn out our dash light BUT I spoke to them and they said they would make the two wire unit upon request.  I am going to order one for my 55 Thunderbird and I already have the 12 volt units on my 57 Skyliner and 56 Thunderbird.  I am also going to put on on me 56 Ford PU.  
Tater Salad
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Thanks Cokefirst,
Where are you purchasing those with two wire from?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter