Profile Picture

Crankshaft bore runout

Posted By cos 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Today @ 3:22:42 AM
Starting (maybe) a 292  (312 crank) stroker build.  How is best way to check mains bore alignment. Cook book says lay a straight shafting in bearing bore and use a .0015 feeler gauge to check. Or put crank in with new bearings and  check for to tightness. Since I dont have a large straight shaft would a camshaft work? Iam also concerned if line honing  would throw off center line for oil seal, or Iam I buying trouble? Thanks for any advice   Bill  Oregon
ian57tbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
A quality straight edge and you should be able to see it visually, but use feeler gauges if in doubt. I do stress a quality straight edge.
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I’ve done a couple stroker motors, and I’d at least have the machine shop hone the mains. If you’re going to spend that much on the crank, rods, pistons, etc. why take a chance. Most blocks need at least a cleanup on the decks to make sure they’re flat and equal. Not doing the mains seems like a lot of risk to save a relatively small amount of dollars.

Only caution I have is the main bore to cam bore measurement. I’ve got one block that had had the mains bored a couple times and the timing chain was loose. There was a company in either AU or NZ that built roller timing chains, and they would build the gears to set the clearance so the chain was properly fit. I’m not sure they offer that anymore. I’m out of town and can’t get to those records, maybe someone will chime in.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
There were timing sets (shortened chain - CLOYES) available for what you are describing.

Ted must be busy or I am sure he would have added info.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter