Profile Picture

More "new" carb questions for "B" intake manifold fit

Posted By bergmanj 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Today @ 6:39:31 AM
Folks,
I'm seriously looking at an Edelbrock 1902 carb to fit my "B" manifold; and, have talked with their technical support.  I was not given a lot of assurance that it would fit; neither was I assured they had the right throttle arm adapter selected as I tried to explain that the original (off a '57 mercury SW) carbutetor was a 1st-year Carter AFB.  They questioned whether the secondary manifold openings would accommodate their 1-11/16"  secondary throttle plates.  They also "thought" that the fuel inlet was convertible from right (passenger) to left (driver) side, but couldn't give me specifics; and, I've looked at their site for specifications and didn't find any details as to my questions their, either - frustrating!

And, they only have a 1/2" thick wood thermal spacer available. I thought that I should go with a 1" spacer - any suggestions?

Manifold is at another site some miles away right now - so...   ...I can't measure!  If anyone has dimensions of secondary openings (diameter and c-to-c spacing); and, mounting studs spacings dimensions c-to-c, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 seconds ago
The B manifold is square bore.  New Edelbrock carbs fit the square bore pattern.  So no problem at all with mounting it in that respect.  The bores on the B manifold are something like 1 15/32" to match the small 4v's of the time so there could be a problem there, if mounting directly to the manifold.  However, since it is a square bore pattern, you have a virtually unlimited choice of spacers so that will not be a problem, though it will be best to open up the bores to match.  I don't have any dimensions handy, but it is square bore, stud spacing is the same and throttle bore centers are the same.

As far as the fuel inlet and throttle linkage goes, expect some modification for anything other than the original carb.  People here may have suggestions but be prepared to figure it out on your own.

Lawrenceville, GA
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
You likely need a carb which is intended for earlier Fords to avoid throttle linkage issues. Many models of Holley or say a  Ford Autolite 1.08 from mid 1960s.. However, the fuel line may need some moderate re alignment with an Autolite.. 

P.S.- the fuel inlet is towards the right side but in front..

Paul
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
"They also "thought" that the fuel inlet was convertible from right (passenger) to left (driver) side, but couldn't give me specifics; and, I've looked at their site for specifications and didn't find any details as to my questions their, either - frustrating!"

You're kidding, right?

That is TECH for EDELBROCK? I never cared for the EDELBROCK as they ruined the original AFB design (IMO). Why they moved the fuel inlet to the passenger side was to accommodate scrub with their RH mech fuel pumps. You can source an throttle adaptor to match linkage styles.

As for the secondary's, I have that sizing somewhere. Will find and post. If the carb bore(s) is larger you can use a spacer with a larger bore(s) so you won't have to pay machining costs and ruin an OEM ECZ-B.

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I’ll suggest the Summit 500 cfm carb that’s available.  Uses Holley jets, accelerator pumps, vacuum secondary diaphragms, power valves, etc.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08500vs/overview/ 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ccc7bbd-8acc-4e62-b444-0a90.jpg

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

bergmanj
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)Supercharged (539 reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 6:39:31 AM
Folks,

I really appreciate all the replies so far!
I also know that each of the suggestions have good performance history.
And, yes, that comment from Edelbrock was exactly as stated about "guessing" regarding moving fuel inlet from one side to the other! Ted, that carb is less costly, but I need a manual choke also, which costs a lot more.
Every carb suggested is either "passenger-side" fuel inlet, or "guessed" as to moving it to "driver's-side".
Is there anything newer "out -there", with left-front/driver's-side or just left-side fuel inlet and still a "good" carb?

Thanks, JLB

55 Ford Crown Victoria Steel Top
hjh
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
A very good carb. for street or racing. I use the 750 vac. secondary on my 337 C.I 3800 lb. 60 Merc Monterey @12.40`s to 12.70`s @ 108 MPH .very easily tuneable carb..
Harry Hutten
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
If you’re stuck on having the drivers’ side fuel inlet, then the List 1848 465 cfm 4V Holley carb is a reliable bolt on carb and does not require any enlargement of the carb bores on a factory ECZ-B 4V intake manifold.  The fuel inlet on the 1848 carb can be changed out so it accepts an inverted flair steel line.  Both the Summit 500 cfm carb and the Holley 1848 carbs can be converted to a manual choke using standard Holley choke parts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-1848-1 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a3e25b2c-c7bf-4744-8638-9f3a.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter