Profile Picture

change generator

Posted By trodom 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
whats the best way to convert from generator to alternator on a 292 ford v8
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
How do you define "best?"  Best looking is probably by using one of Mummert's brackets.  Best (lowest) cost is probably some all-thread, spacers, and flat stock to make brackets using the original generator bracket.

Lawrenceville, GA
trodom
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
can u help me get in touch with mummerts about the bracket for the alternater
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Not really.  Calling him is best.

Lawrenceville, GA
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
trodom (10/1/2018)
can u help me get in touch with mummerts about the bracket for the alternater

Top of "Forums" Page is "Links". Scroll down to John Mummerts Site Link. You can see what He has. I used a 3 Wire old style Alternator on mine and made a Bracket to work with the Original Generator Bracket. If You do a Google Search for installing Alternator on Y Block.You should find it. Threaded Rod and flat stock Brackets.You can dress it up a bit using Chrome Acorn Nuts on the ends of Threaded Rod.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I won't be able to post pics until next week but the Ford G1 3 wire alternator can be installed without altering or adding additional brackets and look bone stock correct  That is, the alternator will be positioned "upside down."  I drilled out the threads from the alternator ear that was for the adjusting bolt to allow mounting to the original generator brackets. Using a spacer cut to span between the upper bracket ears, then insert a long bolt into the drilled out hole in the alternator, through the original brackets, newly cut spacer and a nut on the back end. This now is the new pivot. The lower end of the alternator which was the pivot point, will now be the adjustment point. Please keep in mind this install is for my 64 F100, your results may vary? The slotted adjuster bracket that worked for me was limited but with a closely sized belt there is enough adjustment to properly set belt tension. I can't remember if I used the original slotted bracket. I also needed a spacer where the adjustment bracket secures to the front bracket on the timing chain cover. It's been a long time but I think this spacer was used for this purpose originally. Nice looking properly sized quality hardware and washers goes a long way to make it all look stock. It may seem like this "new" pivot point wouldn't be secure but it has been solid with no issues for about 5 years now. Again, I apologize for not being able to send pics at this time but this method worked great for me and allowed the use of a excellent 3 wire Ford alternator. Maybe I was lucky  in that the position of the alternator pulley lined up with the damper pulley. Just my $.02 and hope this may help, JEFF..................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

JOHN MUMMERTS ALT BRKT INFO - http://www.ford-y-block.com/alternatorbrkt.htm

It says for a DELCO ONE-WIRE ALT, which I am not a fan of personally.

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm pretty sure it works with regular delco alternators as well.  The case is the same, isn't it?

I've been using a one wire for about 17 years.  Never any problem, even with a few additional electric items.

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

I guess I meant DELCO ALT as a whole.

Just does't look right.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Here is what I was trying to explain...........http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/067827bc-3fcd-41a6-9455-c43d.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d6209a5b-a4c3-49f9-89ba-c476.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/eddf7885-d5df-49f6-a54e-105b.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cc88750f-7c64-42ac-86ad-cbe0.jpg

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter