Profile Picture

power steering Idler arm bushing.

Posted By MoonShadow 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Has anyone ever used the replacement bearings for the idler arm bushings? I don't know anything about them but they show up occasionaly. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Chuck, I have used them.  They are a great replacement for those '56 threaded things.  I have a box of NORS of them, but I don't know offhand if there are any for '56s.  If you need a set, let me know and I'll check my stash.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

John my 56 has the press in types already. Not sure if that was changed along the way or not. Even with the low mileage the bushings seem to wear out a bit quickly. I doubt if I've put 10,000 miles on the car since the 80's and have replaced the bushings once. I'd like to try the bearing setup. If you say it helps that's enough for me. So please dig a bit and see if you have some. Thanks, Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Chuck, sorry for the delay.  The kits I have for the '54 to '60 Fords state "Power steering"  If I remember correctly, the PS type had press in bushings and the idler arm itself had about a 1/2 inch threaded end with a drilled hole and used a castellated nut and cotter pin.  If that sounds like what you have, I have a couple of kits.  Do you need kits on both ends of the idler arm?  They are the same.  The non-PS idlers had a steel bushing with threads on the outside and the inside, they thread into the cross link and the frame bracket, and the idler arm was also threaded on both ends to screw into the bushings.

MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

John; this is the type of idler arm that's on my car. I've never had one that took the threaded parts just press in rubber with steel sleeves. Chuck
Idler Arm - Power Steering - Ford Only

Y's guys rule!

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Chuck, that looks like the type idler arm that my kits replace.  Do you need one or two.?

MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I would need two, one for each end.

Y's guys rule!

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Chuck, how does $25 for a pair, plus shipping sound?  They would probably fit in a Priority box if I took them out of their original boxes.

MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sounds good to me. Address is:
Chuck Cline
409 Milford st.
Manchester, NH 03102

Y's guys rule!

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Chuck:
Bad news.  I looked in the boxes to see if the parts would ship priority, and they are NOT ball bearing kits.  They have plastic bushings which must replace the original rubber ones.  I doubt if they are what you want.  Both ends are included in each kit.  You can have a kit for free if you want.  I am sorry for the mistake.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter