Profile Picture

LYB Flywheel Wanted

Posted By Butch Lawson 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Looking for a flywheel for a '56 Lincoln 368.  Thanks.

Butch

Butch Lawson

Manchester,  TN

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
Standard (manual) or automatic transmission?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Butch Lawson
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)Supercharged (427 reputation)

Need a manual flywheel.

Butch Lawson

Manchester,  TN

jlb51
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I think I have one, I know I have a LYB truck bellhousing. They a in my brother's warehouse.  I'll try to look sometime this week and let you know.  Jeff.

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

My understanding is that a FE flywheel has the same center hole dimension as the LYB flywheel.  If this is the case, then the LYB bolt pattern can be drilled and interspersed between the FE bolt holes on the flywheel and made to work.  I don’t have a LYB crankshaft sitting here or I would at least be able to see if the aforementioned scenario is doable.  If using a FE flywheel, then it needs to be a 1958-1964 model so that the starter ring gear is compatible with a earlier model ‘forward driving’ starter bendix.  If using a late model starter (1965 and newer) that has a ‘rear driving’ bendix, then use a ’65 and newer FE flywheel.

Butch Lawson
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted (9/18/2018)
My understanding is that a FE flywheel has the same center hole dimension as the LYB flywheel.  If this is the case, then the LYB bolt pattern can be drilled and interspersed between the FE bolt holes on the flywheel and made to work.  I don’t have a LYB crankshaft sitting here or I would at least be able to see if the aforementioned scenario is doable.  If using a FE flywheel, then it needs to be a 1958-1964 model so that the starter ring gear is compatible with a earlier model ‘forward driving’ starter bendix.  If using a late model starter (1965 and newer) that has a ‘rear driving’ bendix, then use a ’65 and newer FE flywheel.

Thanks Ted.  That's my understanding as well about the flywheel.   I've also heard that an FE bellhousing can be made to work, but I don't know that for sure.  I won't be able to pick the engine up and bring it home until next week.  When I get it here I can look it over and get a better feel for what I need to do.   Right now I don't know enough about them to make any really qualified judgement about what will work on the back end of this thing. 
Butch

Butch Lawson

Manchester,  TN

1960fordf350
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If you go over to the HAMB website,  there is a forum there specifically for Lincoln Y blocks.   A lot of info.   From my memory,  FE  bellhousings will work, but you have to eggshell the mounting holes cause they don't quite match.    There are people on that site that have bored and stroked 368's  to 426.    The bellhousing I have had a 5 speed truck transmission bolted to it, so it has a large bolt pattern.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

Butch Lawson
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted (9/18/2018)

Ted,
 Is the diameter of the FE flywheel the same as the LYB.  If so, I can use the FE flywheel and starter with the LYB bell housing.  Thanks.
Butch

Butch Lawson

Manchester,  TN

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Butch Lawson (11/15/2018)
Ted,
s the diameter of the FE flywheel the same as the LYB.  If so, I can use the FE flywheel and starter with the LYB bell housing.  Thanks.
Butch

Without a LYB flywheel to measure or a LYB starter ring to take a tooth count of, I can’t say if a FE flywheel is the same diameter as the LYB.  I looked through some of the various parts catalogues for any kind of information related to the LYB flywheels but didn’t come up with anything useful.  I do have an early standard shift LYB bellhousing here for a Lincoln car which I can see if a FE flywheel will at least physically fit within it.  I’ll have that piece of information by tomorrow.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter