Profile Picture

wanted: harmonic balancer for '62 292

Posted By willys392 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I am looking for a harmonic balancer for my 292.  I tried to get the Powerbond PB1199N through Amazon.ca but they can no longer get them. I called the Damper Doctor but by the time it got to me across the border (Canada) it would be just over $500. CDN.  YIKES!!!!  I was wondering if anyone had a rebuilt one that they wish to get rid of. I can't seem to find any rebuilders up here in (Kingston) Canada, neither CarQuest or Napa knows of any.
thanks
Bill
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
darrell
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
take in some of the swap meets in ontario and you should be able to find a good used one.i come across them all the time but maybe you want new.
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
For damper rebuilding, I use Damper Dudes located in California.
http://www.damperdudes.net//product_info.php?products_id=157

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

thanks Ted,  that's a better price.  $123 plus $75 core.  Better than $195 plus $95 core.   I'll give them a call.
willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

OK, I spoke with Ron at Damperdudes and he advised me that there are 2 different dampners that he has. Before I order one I have to make sure that I get the right one.  The one I'm looking at is the one with the inertial ring behind the pulley (not the one with the pulley suspended in the rubber). Is this right? Its going on a 292 in a 56 F100 using the stock front motor mount.

thanks
Bill
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
willys392 (9/20/2018)
OK, I spoke with Ron at Damperdudes and he advised me that there are 2 different dampners that he has. Before I order one I have to make sure that I get the right one.  The one I'm looking at is the one with the inertial ring behind the pulley (not the one with the pulley suspended in the rubber). Is this right? Its going on a 292 in a 56 F100 using the stock front motor mount.
thanks, Bill

The dampers that have the pulley as part of the inertia ring were found on the 1960-1962 engines.  They also tried that on the FE’s and the six cylinders in the same time period and there were a number of failures related to that particular design.  My recommendation is to go with the damper that has the inertia ring mounted behind the belt pulley.  I do recall some of those early pickups having a small diameter belt pulley in lieu of a harmonic damper which had no inertia ring.  The front mount on those may not accommodate the larger diameter dampers that have the inertia rings.  Just something you need to check for.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thanks Ted.  The 292 that I have is out of a 60's F100.  My memory leads me to believe the date code was 62.  (figures).  I'll definitely check it out.

thanks again
Bill
NY59F100
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Bill, 

Did you ever find a balancer?  I've used Winslow Manufacturing in North Carolina before.  [www.winslowmfg.net]  Great job and a fair price.  It's somewhere around $100, $25 extra if you need a new shaft seal sleeve.  I have a couple of balancers, but they would need to be rebuilt.  I have one I was planning on sending down to get rebuilt.  Let me know if you still need one, and maybe we could figure out getting two shipped out.  I'm in Jamestown, NY.  I don't know how much it would be to then ship to you.  Too bad you're not in western Ontario.

Let me know if I can help.
Soffian

Soffian Adam
Jamestown, NY
59 F100, 55 Club sedan
willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thanks Soffian, I've got one coming from Damperdudes.   I couldn't find anyone up here that rebuilds them and good knows what they would charge if I did.  The one saving grace is being close to the border I can have them shipped to my Kinek address and then just nip across and pick them up. Then it's a trip to Canada customs (that is certainly a pleasure) and then home.

Bill

Reading This Topic

Site Meter