Profile Picture

Wanted: 58 Ford steering box and column

Posted By bikrmech1 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Looking to buy 1958 Ford passenger car steering gear box and steering colume. Would like to locate as near to Dayton,Ohio as possible, or I could pay shipping. Please advise to Bikrmech1@g-mail.  Thanks, Doug
carl
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 50 minutes ago
Do you need standard shift or automatic column   Carl
bikrmech1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Does not matter.The car is equipped with a 4-speed. I need it included with the turn signal switch.
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Doug: Are you by chance converting a 57 car to a 58 box & column?  

Paul
bikrmech1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Trying to gather parts now. Waiting for cooler weather. 88 to 95 degrees last week and the same for this week too. Any advise on the 57 to 58 conversion please share.    Thanks, Doug
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Oh boy!  It's been a while since I had mine done. Big mistake #1 was buying just the steering box without a complete column assembly. Bought the horn contact plate assembly & so on seperately.  1 pce was old stock the rest was used. (time & money). Among the issues was getting the turn signal switch to cancel. Another thing U need is either the later steering wheel or U need to figure out where to drill your existing steering wheel center, at about the 1:pm position to install the horn ground contact pieces, which aren't part of the column.. If I recall, there's also a plastic pce that has to be transferred from a 58 wheel to the 57, if used. In the meantime I had the box sent to a mechanic to be checked over for bearings & seal.. When said & done it turned out the box was a leaker!!  And I put the upper column assembly together twice & never did get the setup to work properly. Not sure why? Ended up wiring an auxiliary horn up by the knee knocker area of the door so I gould slap it if needed it in a hurry..The 58 box does steer somewhat better than the 57 which had a horrible flat spot in it, but it's certainly not power steering..  I need to get back to it one day...         

Paul
bikrmech1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Paul,
 Thanks for the reply. You have given me another view of my steering situation. I may jist bite the bullet and have my 57 box rebuilt.  The cost is bouncing between 475. and 750. Do you have further suggestions?  Thanks for your input. 

Doug
cokefirst
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
That price seems a little high.  I used Straight Line Steering.  They have two facilities but the car boxes are all done out of the San Jose Location.  They also have an office in Rubidoux, CA which is a suburb of Riverside CA.  I think I had my box done for about $300 not counting shipping.  
bikrmech1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for the info. I located it thru Rock Auto. Says about $240. Thanks again.          Doug
kevink1955
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Is Rock Auto a rebuilt where you have to send them your unit and they rebuild it and return it to you??. Never trusted that besides the turn around time at the rebuilder, what happens if it's lost in shipping.  Also how do you pack a long shaft box so the shaft does not get bent.  I would build a wood crate but the shipping cost would be very high

Reading This Topic

Site Meter